Brown algae on my sword plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jesselav1233

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I've had my sword plants a few months now and they have got this thick brown algae on them I can rub it off and the plant otherwise seems healthy what is it? I cleaned it all off by just rubbing it off with my hands but there is still a little on in spots that won't come off is there a way to kill it? This is in my discus tank so I'm really scared to put anything in the water on account of how temperamental they can be to any change in their water condition. Thanks for any advice

fishdud said:
Can you post a pic? It's probably diatoms.

I'm trying to but it says exceeds my attachments quota I'm on the iPhone so I don't know what's wrong never had an issue before this

Jesselav1233 said:
I'm trying to but it says exceeds my attachments quota I'm on the iPhone so I don't know what's wrong never had an issue before this

How old is the tank?

If I remember correctly it happens in every tank, mostly newly set up ones. Although it may look ugly, it's not harmful.

Never have used it I tried using flourish excel once but my discus didn't like it so I never used it again

fishdud said:
If I remember correctly it happens in every tank, mostly newly set up ones. Although it may look ugly, it's not harmful.

Will it stop growing eventually or is it going to keep coming back?

Back
Top Bottom