Brown algae problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr.fresh

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So my tank is super new , about 3 months since it finished cycling and levels are looking good , all of my plants have been doing alright till now , im starting to see alot of brown algae on my anubias and some others , im running my lights for 12 hrs, and i know thats alot but i wanted to give everything enough light to make it off the bat in a low tech setup.. im curious if theres a way to keep the algae off my plants while keeping the light cycle longer ? I also have a diy co2 setup but i dont think its doing tooo much , only at about 1 bubble ever 2 seconds or so , any smart ideas out there or just cut the light down ??

Could you post some pictures? Also could provide more info on the tank like substrate and lights used?What most refer to as brown algae is a thing called diatoms. They typically show up during the start of the tank and not 3 months in. Have you added any new sand or rocks to the tank?

No new rocks or susbtrate, using pool filter sand and florite mix for substrate, ive got a t8 with a 20w life flow and a nicrew led from amazon.. some cheap stuff. theres brown spotting on the glass as well which started about the same time but i just figured algae is algae

Attachments

• 15517568739206994148386382118780.jpg
    15517568739206994148386382118780.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 76
  • 15517568895248157417700683819296.jpg
    15517568895248157417700683819296.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 69
If you use tap water and you have silicates in it then it'll never go away. I know this first hand.

Ive been snooping around and ive seen that you have mentioned this in other threads and im thinking thats prob the case .. so the question is now oto ? Because the hillstream loach doesnt seem to be interested , i was sold him as a pleco actually which was annoying

Otos, nerite snails or shrimp. I use nerites due to the fish I keep that will eat otos and shrimp. Something to keep in mind.

Snails are a check but shrimp are a no go , ill maybe look i to otos thanks !

Well i went and picked up a couple oto's and man do they mow that diatom algae down but now i have a new problem .. they all died. I picked them up saturday and the last one passed today.from what i hear there hard to keep alive but im guessing they where unhealthy or it was something in the water.but perameters where fine when i checked is it worth it to try again or just let the diatom algae have its way for now? im tempted to try nerite snails.. but man the little otos where entertaining

I'm sure you've answered this in another thread but what is your KH, GH and TDS if you know it?

How did you acclimate them before adding them to the tank? Did you quarantine them?

I'm sure you've answered this in another thread but what is your KH, GH and TDS if you know it?

How did you acclimate them before adding them to the tank? Did you quarantine them?
I dont actually know , i know we have a ph of about 7.9 me and the store i got them from are on the same water supply. We have hard water i know that much

Back
Top Bottom