Brown Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KJurgelewicz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am still cycling a fairly new aquarium with fish and do constant pwc's. However, The substrate and decorations are now pretty much covered in brown algae. Is this harmful to the fish? The water parameters have been fluctuating but I do pwc's to keep ammonia down. Currently the ammonia is not rising / dropping on its own.

I read online that vacuuming the gravel will help clean the brown algae, but I was not sure if I could do this during the cycle? But if that much brown algae is harmful to fish, I may have to vacuum and slow the cycle a little bit.

Let me know what you guys think I should do. Thanks.

I'm interested in answers to this question. I just found brown patches in my tank too. It's also newer

Probably diatoms. They're common in almost every freshwater aquarium out there, and I can't think of anyone who hasn't had it. Lower your photoperiod (turning the lights on later in the day and turning them off earlier at night, for example) and limit the amount of fish food you put in there - algae loves excess nutrients.
You could also get live plants to compete for the nutrients, or spot-treat it with Flourish Excel.

Is it harmful to the fish? From what I read, the brown algae will run its course on its own, but I want to make sure it does not do any damage during this.

Would vacuuming just the gravel (not cleaning the decorations, or changing anything in the filter) affect the cycling process alot? Should I do this to clean out some of the brown algae? If I do it this will it prolong the cycle (again, I am not worried about extending it somewhat if the brown algae is harmful)?

Vacuuming the gravel and changing the water will not hurt your cycle. Most of the beneficial bacteria will be on your filter media anyway. The brown algae will not hurt your fish:) and yes it is common in newly established tanks.

Algae help

Hello K...

Algal growth is a good thing. It says you have a healthy tank. It gets out of control when there too many nutrients in the tank, nitrates for one and phosphate is the other. If you remove these from the water, the algae starts to shrink.

The easiest way to remove the nutrients is through large and frequent water changes. By removing a minimum of half the water in the tank every week, you remove half the dissolved nutrients in the water. While the water level is low, take the opportunity to add some fast growing stem plants to your tank. I really like Water wisteria and Pennywort. These are fast growers and will use up the excess food in the water.

The combination of flushing large amounts of clean, treated water through the tank and adding the stem plants will get the algae under control.

B

Is it harmful to the fish? From what I read, the brown algae will run its course on its own, but I want to make sure it does not do any damage during this.

Would vacuuming just the gravel (not cleaning the decorations, or changing anything in the filter) affect the cycling process alot? Should I do this to clean out some of the brown algae? If I do it this will it prolong the cycle (again, I am not worried about extending it somewhat if the brown algae is harmful)?

Diatoms are harmless to fish, just unsightly, some fish in fact, like ottos have a field day eating it. Diatoms is an indicator that there are silicates, which diatoms use to form their shells, in your water. Silicates is very common in newer tanks.

While they can go away on their own as they use up silicates, if your PWC is tap and it's groundwater, there is a chance you many never get rid of it. I've
had diatoms from nearly the second month on with no signs of it going away. Fortunately, they easily rub the glass and ornaments, removing them from plants is a bit tougher sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom