brown algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrsfuller2572

Aquarium Advice Activist
lr has been in the tank right at 24 hours now...As well as two cups of live sand from existing reef aquarium where lr came out of. There is a light brown fast growing algae that wasn't there at 6:30 am! It is in little translucent spots here and there on the tank glass and all over the top of what used to be pretty white sand.
Wish I had a digital camera to bore you all with pics, but if you can direct me to some photos and articles to help me get rid of this stuff and know what I'm looking at if and when more comes to visit, I'd be tickled pink!
Thanks again,
Jeri Fuller

What you are seeing is diatoms. Completely harmless and completely normal algae in a cycling tank. Actually, its good! It means your tank is cycling well.

What you can do...is nothing. Give it time and one morning it will simply be gone. As quickly as it appeared it will dissapear. That will mean your bacteria level has caught up with itself.

HTH

whew. Thank you Thank you Thank you
I have not invested in testing kits yet...any suggestions? I was intesterested in a compltet kit, but what I've seen so far is in upwards of $60.+ for 50 tests...is that on target or high?
The lfs will test for free. I go by there twice a week, so for now, I will have them test it for me...next trip is Monday.

I'm sorry, I can't remember, are you doing FOWLR or reef. If FOWLR, I don't think you would really need to worry about Ca, regular PWC should replenish all your depleted elements. I bought that kit and used it twice, once to see what my tank had and once on my well water, and I can't even remeber the results.
As for reef, I am not too sure. I have seen folks use "purple up" (I think) for coraline growth. I try to stay away from adding chemicals to my tank and let nature run with it. That coraline should grow under good water conditions.

I agree with roka. Really no need to add supplements unless you have a tank heavily stocked with corals. Regular water changes will replenish all the neccesary trace elements. I'd still get it tested at your LFS just so you know the levels.

Oh, and don't forget pictures. :)

Back
Top Bottom