brown algea!! cure?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zach119

Aquarium Advice Activist
i have brown algea starting to grow on my rock what do i do to get ride of it scrubb it off? and what do i need to change in my tank to keep it gone?any help will be greatly appreciated!

If it's a new tank, this is a normal stage that will pass as the tank matures. Older tanks typically don't have the problems with brown algae.

diatoms are brown and slimy, quick to grow all over everything glass, plants,ect. Diatoms are also fairly easy to wipe off. I never heard diatoms described as "powdery." I would say they are definitely more slimy and I would bet that this is what you have in your tank.

ok so light will help cure that or wiping them off? the diatoms in my saltwater tank are powdery thats why i said powdery sorry for the confusion. :lol:

yeah you can wipe the glass with an algae brush and the diatoms come right off, also you can buy an oto that will quickly eat all your diatoms. I have heard that more intense light can discourage them but I have never experienced. It seems to me that lots of water changes helps control the problem but nothing works like an oto. The one time I had a tank where I had a diatom problem I just did tons more pwc, cleaning of the glass, and vacuming and eventually they disappeared only to be replaced by green algae, lol.

Back
Top Bottom