Brown Diatoms?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmartin71

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have had an outbreak in my 26gal bow. Is there a cure, preventative measures so it doesn't happen again? I have reduced the light exposure and I am wondering if I should buy snails as I have read in some other threads.

Suggestions?

Is this a relatively young tank, as in less than 6 months old? If so, its just part of the process. You can try to fix it, but by the time you find something that works, they'll have burned themselves out. It can happen in any tank at any time, but most frequently in younger tanks.

mfdrookie516 said:
Is this a relatively young tank, as in less than 6 months old? If so, its just part of the process. You can try to fix it, but by the time you find something that works, they'll have burned themselves out. It can happen in any tank at any time, but most frequently in younger tanks.

The tank is going on 4 months but I had a recent ammo problem that I did a 100% wc and but the filter and gravel and decorations are the same. So do I just continue doing my 20% pwc every week and they will go away or should I look into something else?

For now, I'd say keep doing what you're doing if its working for the fish. They'll eventually burn themselves out. If, 3 months from now, you're still having the issue, then it may be time to look in to other things. JMO

mfdrookie516 said:
For now, I'd say keep doing what you're doing if its working for the fish. They'll eventually burn themselves out. If, 3 months from now, you're still having the issue, then it may be time to look in to other things. JMO

Thanks last thing what about the light how long should I leave that on with this outbreak?

Back
Top Bottom