Brown Dust Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trish300

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Not sure this is the right place to put this post but I am very new. I have brown dust algae all over my rocks and sand only on the right side of my tank. The rest of the tank is fine. Any ideas as to why this is only on the right side. Can't seem to get rid of it. Here are some pics. The first two are the brown dust algae, the last one is the left side of the tank which is doing fine. I don't see the attachments on this post. Hopefully they came out. If not I will try again. I put all mytank info in my profile but it doesn't show up on post. 100 g tank, live rock, PH 8.2, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrates 20.
1 Foxface
2 Cardinals
2 Fire fish
1 Dragonface Pipefish
1 Cleaner Shrimp
1 Arrow Crab
1 Emerald Crab
various snails and hermit crabs
1 scooter bleeny

Attachments

• 402.jpg
    402.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 192
  • 397.jpg
    397.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 342
  • 399.jpg
    399.jpg
    269.2 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
Diatoms. If this is a new tank, then it's normal as part of the algae bloom cycle process. If not, then it indicates an abundance of nutrients and available silicates. Where do you get your water? Seems likely that your water has silicates in it.

This is not a new tank, got it from my step son who had it set up for a long time. We get our water from the fish store. We use DI for topping off and whatever ocean water they give us for water changes. Don't know what it is called. We do 25% water change every three weeks. We did use treated tap water when we first filled it up. Have done two water changes since then with the right water, Hope this makes sense.

I would think if it is the water quality it would be over the whole tank not just the right side.

Trish300 said:
I would think if it is the water quality it would be over the whole tank not just the right side.

Could be indicative of less flow on that side. I had diatoms only on my left side, actually promote me to get another powerhead because it revealed a dead spot lol

That makes perfect sense. I just have one power head on the right side which flows to the left side. I will get another power head and see if that works. Needed another one anyway. Thanks for the advice.

I wouldn't worry about the diatoms. It's normal, basically just the silicates in the sand being consumed. It will subside...

I agree diatoms. Even tho the step son had it set up, if you moved it you disturbed the sanded. That would make more silicates that had been buried available for the bacteria to consume. Same thing is happening to me right now with a moved tank. It will go away soon.

Just starve it as much as possible you will be fine once all the silicates are gobbled... How long do you keep your light running? (Just wondering)

We have the light on about 8 hours a day. I got another power head we will see if that helps. Thanks all for the advice:thanks:

Back
Top Bottom