Brown on sand getting worse and worse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Phyto is algae, I have been using reef snow. My fish guy said the phyto isn't good and contributes to,algae growth.

Rosesrblu1 said:
Phyto is algae, I have been using reef snow. My fish guy said the phyto isn't good and contributes to,algae growth.

It's Phyto plankton... No? Which is a food for filter feeders just like Zoo plex/plankton.

So what do I do?

This is the most recent pic

I'm lowering the intensity of my lights first to see how that does. Turned off 2 out of my 6 T5 bulbs

Attachments

• image-3750040257.jpg
    image-3750040257.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 121
Are you spot feeding the phyto? It is known for raising organic levels, so I would use as little as possible to keep your filter feeders happy.

Gregcoyote said:
Are you spot feeding the phyto? It is known for raising organic levels, so I would use as little as possible to keep your filter feeders happy.

No I dose in the tank. Well used to. I stopped ever since this algae came. If I spot feed or not it's still in the water column.

My power is out now due to this hurricane! I have my sump pump running and two power heads running off my car. HAHA!! DC/AC converter

The pic you posted for phosphate has the same reading as mine but mine is not brown algae. It's a combination of purplish/red and green. Although they're not that bad yet. Still continue to spread :(

Btw, great looking tank without that brown algae :D

Stay safe and we can dal with the algae after your back up and running. Definitely don't dose the tank. I would get a small turkey baster and spot feed a non phyto based food like reef snow or marine snow. Less food in the water column.

I would suggest astrea snails for brown algae. When I had my brown algae these snails were like snow plow lol!!!

daney90 said:
I would suggest astrea snails for brown algae. When I had my brown algae these snails were like snow plow lol!!!

Less than 5.

How many should I have?

I readjusted the flow to my skimmer. It's T-ed off my return pump . More flow through my sump/skimmer means it will filter the water more and the skimmer will take more out of the waters (my skimmer is responsible for my sump water recirculating).

i recommend the nassarous snails because,, overfeeding=docs=phosphates=cyanobacteria

now with plenty of these workers and good maintenance you will reduce the high docs

Yes the snails are going to temporarily fix the problem and remove the algae, but it's best to find the source of the problem, which it seems you have done :). +1 on nassarius snails. My sand is clean and recently I found out a snail died because I found a hoard of nassarius snails eating it before it decomposed and became ammonia later to be nitrates. If there's any extra food that falls to the bottom (rarely happens) most of them come out searching crazily. I have 30+ in my 70 gallon. It's really your preference, don't even need anymore if you don't want more, but they are my fav. CUC member.

The brown isn't getting any worse, if anything better since I readjusted my skimmer. Idk.

I got 16 snails, 2 different types that ill post pics of in a little bit.

Also got 3 new coral! Sold on one rock and was priced great IMO. Pics to come!!

Hurricane Sandy only took my power out for less than 24hrs so no harm was done. Here are pics of my new CUC and coral I couldn't say no too!

The brown algae has seemed to plateau, it's not getting worse so next PWC ill suck it all out and hope it stays clean!

1 rock came with mushrooms, polyp, two leather corals for $45!

Can anyone specify the type of leathers these are?

img_2184537_0_9893cac3a690cd29752382ef30104b26.jpg

img_2184537_1_9505e113d674e6a6074afb5a040e1b21.jpg

img_2184537_2_5a453d15d137b70abd8862156040529d.jpg

img_2184537_3_6e45e4cc7ef1800e97baa9382fc675f9.jpg

One of the leathers looks like a toadstool and the other is either a cabbage leather or a finger one. Im leaning toward the cabbage though.

Cool! Can't wait for the next few days and see if this toadstool opens up like my other one!

Everyone keep your fingers crossed for the algae to stay clear after my next PWC! I was thinking of replacing my drain filter sock. I have cleaned it 2-3 times since I started my tank almost a year ago! Whenever I clean my glass and chunks of algae float around I'm sure some get drained than just sit in my filter sock.

You should be cleaning your filter sock at least with every weekly water change! That could be a Hague part of your problem.

Back
Top Bottom