Brown residue on plants and rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Travis32

Aquarium Advice Regular
My 75 gallon has been cycling for 4 weeks now. It has quite a few brown spots on the plants (fake) and rocks. Would this just be a type of algae? It does wipe right off. Can I just take the rocks and plants out and wash it off then put them back since they are just fake plants anyway? Also, would buying an algae eater fish actually help with that? If so, what would you guys recommend, it is a community heated freshwater tank (75 gallons)? Thanks

Sounds like diatoms IMO.
They will(should) go away on their own in time.
When they exhaust their food supply.
This is pretty common in new tanks.
You can rinse rocks outside tank if you like,but it would be best in a bucket of tank water so not to kill any BB you may be growing on them with chlorine(they grow on all surfaces).
An "algae eater" is not needed or useful in this case IMO.

Sounds like diatoms IMO.
They will(should) go away on their own in time.
When they exhaust their food supply.
This is pretty common in new tanks.
You can rinse rocks outside tank if you like,but it would be best in a bucket of tank water so not to kill any BB you may be growing on them with chlorine(they grow on all surfaces).
An "algae eater" is not needed or useful in this case IMO.

Yeppery dooo

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks CoralBandit, so ideally I should just fill up a clean bucket with water directly from the tank, and then just shake the plants in the water to remove the diatoms from the plants and then just pour the water from the bucket right back into the aquarium? Thanks again

They will die off of their own accord in time.

Patience young Jedi. Or old Jedi. Not really sure to be honest...

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom