Brown spots?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wade91789

Aquarium Advice Activist
About 8 miles east of Sulphur Springs, TX
Within the last 2 days I've had brown spots show up on my glass some on my decor and on my bubble wand... What's the best way to handle this before it gets out of control??

Attachments

• image-2822829276.jpg
    image-2822829276.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 64
Sorry for this barrage of questions- how long has your tank been running? Are there fish or any other type of critter in there? How big is your tank and what are you running it with (filtration type and gallon rating, underground filter, air pump rating, lighting etc that you know off the top of your head)? What is your test kit reading for levels?

Looks like you have diatoms. Is your tank fairly new? Diatoms are very common in new tanks. They use silicates in the water and they will eventually go away on thier own. If you don't have plants in your tank you can use a Phosphate remover as they also remove silicates from the water. If you have a planted tank then I would suggest some Nerite snails as they love diatoms. They will also eat bio-film, green dust algae, and even green spot algae. They can't reproduce in freshwater so you won't get a population explosion. Also I don't know how long your running your lights but I would only run the lights for 6-8 hours.

ktomminello said:
Sorry for this barrage of questions- how long has your tank been running? Are there fish or any other type of critter in there? How big is your tank and what are you running it with (filtration type and gallon rating, underground filter, air pump rating, lighting etc that you know off the top of your head)? What is your test kit reading for levels?

Ok my tanks been running since oct. and my stock is:
9 glo danios
3 cardinal tetra
A betta
A gold mystery snail
And 5 or so ghost shrimp
It's a 29g with a 30-60 tetra heater, lighting is a aqua rays 18watt floresent bulb can't find the K rating. A tetra whisper 60 dual HoB
Water test shows
PH 8.2
Ammo 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 10

It's diatoms or brown algae as some call it. You can also just keep wiping it away but its rather a moot point since it will just come right back.

Ok so nitrite snails or phosphate remover?

Phosphate remover ONLY if you don't have a planted tank. Nerites are always my first choice over chemicals but do which ever will work best for your tank. The advantage of nerites is they are just good little snails to have in a tank.

It's diatoms or brown algae as some call it. You can also just keep wiping it away but its rather a moot point since it will just come right back.

Thank you :) my Android won't let me give thanks points, but you're advice is always sound.

As for the diatoms there's a product that I used that really helped me called phos-no, I don't know who it's by though.

I think they do, I am not a big snail user, though, but I know a lot of people swear by them, I like fiddler crabs, lol, but only if they have a secured top with a light saltwater mixture and place to bask.

Back
Top Bottom