Brown spotted algae, on plants, what to do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boffer

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey got some Brown spotted algae, on my Alternanthera reineckii Mini, do you guys know how to get rid of it, is there are some fish that will eat it ? I can't brush it away it's stuck on the Leaves :( what to do?

Attachments

• IMG_20191127_121452.jpg
    IMG_20191127_121452.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 54
Hello Bof...

I limit the food I give my fish and let the fish fertilize my plants. So, I don't have much algae in my fish tanks. Some is a good water filter and supplements the diet of your fish. Algae growth is a good way of judging how much you're feeding. If you have a lot of growth in your fish tank, there's some food that isn't being eaten and it dissolves in the water. This is a good environment for algae to grow. You can reduce the amount you feed and increase your water changes to reduce the nutrients in the water. Floating plants will help to use added nutrients too.

B

Hello Bof...

I limit the food I give my fish and let the fish fertilize my plants. So, I don't have much algae in my fish tanks. Some is a good water filter and supplements the diet of your fish. Algae growth is a good way of judging how much you're feeding. If you have a lot of growth in your fish tank, there's some food that isn't being eaten and it dissolves in the water. This is a good environment for algae to grow. You can reduce the amount you feed and increase your water changes to reduce the nutrients in the water. Floating plants will help to use added nutrients too.

B

Yes i am feeding alot, i have no fish yet, but trying to get a Fishless Cycle with Fish Food, but maby i should-en fertilize at the same time, i might try that.

Hello Bof...

B
Hello, you can use peroxide(no harm breaks into water & oxigen) to spot treat areas by using a turkey baster, syringe or baby med dropper. Be very careful not to get in fish eyes or gills. This is only a quick fix. @BRadbury is correct in that it my be overfeeding(only feed what fish can eat 2min). You may want to limit your lighting to about 6hrs w/planted tank & 4hrs w/no plants.
Natural sunlight will really reak havoc on a tank so if tank is near a source either block or move. Hope this helps you!!!!!

Yes i am feeding alot, i have no fish yet, but trying to get a Fishless Cycle with Fish Food, but maby i should-en fertilize at the same time, i might try that.
Correction, no idea this was fishless cycle. If you decide to use spot treatment be care shut down filter. Peroxide will also kill your bacteria that you are trying to establish.
You may want to use pure ammonia(no additives)instead of fish food. You add to 4ppm. If no test kit please get one most important tool in hobby(api liquid best). Keep it 4ppm till it starts to drop & nitrites or nitrates start to show. Then you know your tank is starting to cycle. Hope this helps!!!!!

Thanks for the advice, I don't have access to pure ammonia, in Denmark :( so have to use fish food. right now it is 3ppm, when i test whit liquid test kits, and im 1 week in. and its 9 kg biohome ultimate, and i put Bactoballs in it, so it should not take more than 2-4 weeks to get bacteria, I made a mistake not putting and ammonia in the first 4 weeks and I couldn't understand why it did not get bacteria but now I know, it's my first aquarium so I still have a lot to learn.

But I will think I will try Peroxide I maybe take the plants off of the water and put it on there, so I don't risk harming the bacteria.

Here's a picture of my aquarium if you're curious

Attachments

• IMG_20191120_140841.jpg
    IMG_20191120_140841.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 55
Back
Top Bottom