Brown stuff on my snail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yodatrooper

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So basically I was going into my room to feed my fish and I saw my snail and he had like a brown half circle on its back and I’m not sure if it’s a good or bad thing and so I’m here asking about it if you could let me know if I should be worried or not that would be great.and it was not on the shell

Last edited:
Is it algae or something else? It’s not uncommon to see algae growth on their shell depending on the tank conditions and where they like to hang out

No it’s not on the shell it’s on the snail and I have not seen the brown stuff on it before im not sure if it’s just the snail or if it’s something else it dose not look like it’s bothering it but then again im not a snail expert.

Yea being on the body, maybe it’s some poop or something it got in contact with. Or is this more of a ‘under the skin’ looking spot

Are you sure it's on the top? Does it look like this (under the snail in this picture)? If so, this hard brown disc is the snail's foot, on the bottom. If you're seeing it on the top, your snail is upside down.

If it stays that way, you can reach in and set it right side up. They can have a hard time righting themselves. They cover a lot of ground, and sometimes use falling as a shortcut to get somewhere else, landing on their sides or top in the process.

If it keeps returning to upside down, it could be a sign that it's heading for the grave (sorry). Is it big? it could be old, and nearing the end of its natural lifespan. Anyway, if it keeps returning to upside down, try putting down some food and righting the snail on top of it. This would give it an interest in staying right side up, maintaining nutrition, and continuing to live.

Attachments

• mystery-snail-brown-pitted-shell.jpg
    mystery-snail-brown-pitted-shell.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 20
Ok thanks so much I don’t think it is near its end this is the first time I’ve seen it happen and I just fixed it for the snail thanks for the info I really appreciate it. :)

Back
Top Bottom