Brown stuff?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carlB9

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have brown stuff on the surface of my water. Doesn't look like its in the tank just on top. Can't get a good pic. Anyone know what it is and how to take care of it.
Thanks so much

About a month and a half. Seems to be doing better now that I'm agitating the water more.

Yes, it is most likely detritus. Have you cycled your tank?

Never really did a cycle. My LFS gave me LR, and water right from his tank.

Never really did a cycle. My LFS gave me LR, and water right from his tank.

What livestock do you have? I would say the cycle is absolutely necessary before adding anything besides live rock and sand (Even if the cycle is pretty quick like mine was, it's good to monitor your params to ensure good water quality.). Btw, pointing a power head at the surface should help with the surface film.

Just wondering, what size tank do you have? Do you have skimmer?

It's a 6gal and I don't have a skimmer.

Ok, that cool. If it was a bigger tank you would probably need a skimmer. Have water changes + more surface movement helped with the film? Good luck! :)

Thanks, It did help. I did lose a clown fish and I know it was too small of a tank. So I think I might get a gobe

Thanks, It did help. I did lose a clown fish and I know it was too small of a tank. So I think I might get a gobe

Sorry to hear about your clown! I think a goby would go great in a tank that size (I have a green clown goby, and he's happy and really fun to watch :))

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom