brown water problem for months...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cappieBridget

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 55 gallon tank

water is:
78 degrees
no ammonia
no nitrites
nitarates at 5 (did almosT FULL TANK WATER CHANGE YESTERDAY)

ABOUT 15 fish, groups of gouramis, danios, rosy barbs and kribensis, 1 candystripe pleco adn 1 otto

My tank has been running since august, cycled within 2 weeks tops with already used filter media.

I have a few fake plants, a strip flourecent light with 2 32 watt bulbs in it.

my gravel is brown neutral rocks.

I have been doing 50% water changes weekly for 2 months now to get the water clean. I have a total of 3 filters; 2 are internal whisper for 10-30 gallons and 1 is a HOB aqua clear for 10-20 gallons.

My water looks good only when I change it, then within hours isbrown again. I only feed 1 time daily, I gravel vac half the tank with every 50 gal water change.

It is getting very frustrating.

I am thinking either too many fish, not enough filtration or my gravel sucks!

Any help, please?

Have you tried putting tap water in a glass and seeing if it turns brown without the fish?

if it doesn't the next thing I would try is putting some of your gravel from the tank in a glass and filling it with fresh tap water and see if that changes. If it does, it's not the fish.

It's possible it's a form of algae...but all I could say is try a couple of experiments and see if we can narrow it down a bit more.

And you didn't mention it but to make sure, you don't have any wood decorations in there?

I did have a wood decoration but took it out last month as one of my ways of getting the water clear. I was thinking algea, could it be brown algae? It would make sense because algae worsens with water changes. I have tried blackouts also, they didn't work. It is a cloudy brown, never has been crystal clear. I'll try the rocks and get a pic on here.

Attachments

• _cid_205_627.jpg
    _cid_205_627.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 116
  • _cid_241_181.jpg
    _cid_241_181.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 35
I had something like this happen in one of my tanks, I fixed it with adding a canister filter to my setup. I went with an Enheim using a lot of mechanical and activated carbon. It cleaned it right up for me. I think you would be a lot more pleased with a Cannister filter than all of those HOB and Internal ones you have now.

I know I'd fare better with a nice cannister filter, but that's not in my budget. I just found this:
http://www.aquariumfish.net/information/cloudy_water.htm
I'll follow it's recommendations and see what happens. Thank you for your post;)

I'm feeling like it is a bacterial type bloom because it's like a cycle;
1.water change
2.clean water for a few hours
3. next day white cloudy water that progressivly turns brown
4.repeat

I'll update when this ends, lol.

Back
Top Bottom