brownish-red algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mandarin man

Aquarium Advice Regular
14 gal biocube. 15 lbs of live rock. has been running almost six months. has been algae free up until the past month when algae started growing on my rocks. it covers all of them completely now and my water turns murking. also there seems to be algae floating on the surface of the water. i do weekly water changes and my levels are perfect(i took my water to the lfs, because i didnt believe my test. and they said it was perfect), so what could be causing it? could it be over feeding? or too much light? what can the algae be feeding on

How much and how often are you feeding?

How much light?

Approx. how many fish/coral/inverts etc...?

so what could be causing it? could it be over feeding? or too much light? what can the algae be feeding on

Yes it could be overfeeding. Go to every other day feeding. Not really too much light but could be older lights that have shifted their spectrum because the bulbs are too old. The algea is feeding off nitrates and phosphates. Click on the word algea.

I would also say that there is no way "perfect" applies. Please supply numerical values for your test results.

livestock is one six line wrasse, coral banded shrimp and pistol shrimp. few red/blue leg hermits, few snails. i will try the every other feeding technique for awhile. how long should i try that out for? and i do not have exact numbers because i took it to the fish store, but there were no nitrates or phosphates. i also do my weekly water changes with ro/di water i get from my lfs. so tap water cant be the problem.

Back
Top Bottom