BRS Dual Ca/GFO Reactors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How much tumbling is ideal and how much is too much? Any good (clear) videos of the right amount of flow?

I see movement starting about halfway down the mass of GFO and moderate tumbling on top. Is that enough or should it start from the bottom?

It's a BRS deluxe, the black one. Right now I can see movement halfway down the GFO that's in there. Is that okay? Should it be less like 1/3 from the top or should I see movement down to the bottom?

Did you fill it up? You want to add GFO slowly. Adding too much at one time can throw parameters in a whirlwind. I want to say my bottle said something about no more than 1/3 a cup at a time.

I didn't fill it but added less than what the instructions said. I think I have too much in there because I can't get it to "stir" from the bottom, only the middle.

What parameters will it impact? I have noticed my Ca and Mg are high (470/1420)

Keeping it from caking up in a high calcium SPS reef is a challenge. I'm trying out the reactor Carey mentioned to see if it will stir GFO well enough not to cake. I like the BSR reactor but I sure didn't have much luck with GFO in it. Phosguard worked fine though.

Heres a short video. I removed half of the GFO and I'm still not getting it to stir from the bottom without going crazy on top. It stirs about 1/3rd of the way down from the top

This is the problem I had. I couldn't get the column to tumble, so the bottom part starts to pack up. I tried mixing in GAC but that didn't stop the GFO from gumming up. In a lower calcium system, I am sure it's a no brainer, but I am trying out another reactor design to see if this can be overcome.

Back
Top Bottom