Bruise on guppy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

megi-lin

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a female guppy with what looks like a bruise. I don't know my water parameters as of right now. I did a water change last week, 75%. I have 5 corydrayas, 2 female fancy guppies, and 2 male plates. I have a picture of her and I just noticed this this morning. Has anyone ever seen this before?.IMG_20170712_113410154.jpg

From the pic it looks like some internal bleeding. I have had male plates go after female guppies when no female platies were avail.

From the pic it looks like some internal bleeding. I have had male plates go after female guppies when no female platies were avail.
Oh no! Nobody warned me of that. Everyone said they'd get along. I hope the same doesn't happen to my Juniper, the other female fancy. The mama died pretty quickly after I saw it. She was fine yesterday. So sad. Poor Thelma. What can I do to keep it from happening again?

Add some female platies, at least three, or remove the male platies. I don't know how big the tank is, but they'll prefer their own species and size-wise a female platy will be able to handle a male platy better than a guppy will. Also watch the males, some are perfectly docile. Others are more aggressive. It may just be one that's a problem and he may need to be rehomed. (Had a male molly that had a thing for white skirt tetras. Plenty of female mollies to choose from, but NO, white skirt tetras... Soon as he was in a new place, he loved female mollies.) Also make sure there's hiding places for the guppies.

Add some female platies, at least three, or remove the male platies. I don't know how big the tank is, but they'll prefer their own species and size-wise a female platy will be able to handle a male platy better than a guppy will. Also watch the males, some are perfectly docile. Others are more aggressive. It may just be one that's a problem and he may need to be rehomed. (Had a male molly that had a thing for white skirt tetras. Plenty of female mollies to choose from, but NO, white skirt tetras... Soon as he was in a new place, he loved female mollies.) Also make sure there's hiding places for the guppies.
I recently removed the plastic plants. ? I'll have to put them back. I removed them to redo the decor and thought it would help the Diatom issue. It's a 20 gallon tank. They've never been problematic before.

I recently removed the plastic plants. ? I'll have to put them back. I removed them to redo the decor and thought it would help the Diatom issue. It's a 20 gallon tank. They've never been problematic before.

I just got some otos to help with my diatom problems. (The mollies are pretty good at it too.) I think silk plants might be better than plastic, too.

I just got some otos to help with my diatom problems. (The mollies are pretty good at it too.) I think silk plants might be better than plastic, too.
Mmm. Okay. I'll think about silk. I do want shrimp. I know they'll take care of diatoms. I've wanted the. For a long time.

Back
Top Bottom