Bubble question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nikkid1987

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is it possible to have too much bubbles? Should i take something out? I have a little bubble stone , a small bubble bar and a skeleton that makes bubbles. I thought I had them all turned down enough to be just right but I don't think the fish like it. Idk maybe it's the new surroundings, but I was wondering if it could be bad if there was too much bubble action Goin on

Is it possible to have too much bubbles? Should i take something out? I have a little bubble stone , a small bubble bar and a skeleton that makes bubbles. I thought I had them all turned down enough to be just right but I don't think the fish like it. Idk maybe it's the new surroundings, but I was wondering if it could be bad if there was too much bubble action Goin on

You can't really have too many bubbles, its really up to you on if you like it or not. If you think it's bothering the fish somehow then you can remove something.

I didn't know if it was possible to overload the tank with bubbles lol thanks :)

I had a bubble wall across the back of my 55 and after a while my fish started looking stressed and weren't as active, turned the air off and the fish went right back to normal

I turned the air down and the water isn't as choppy so the fish are chill now lol

Interesting topic; I too wondered if there was such thing as "too much aeration/bubbles" in a tank, but my goldfish love swimming through the two 18" bars I have running across the back of the 60 gallon, and I never really saw them get "stressed out" or "less active" because the bubbles were flowing...of course, if there's TOO much force from these wands/bars/stones, the water does become almost club soda-like and a bit too turbulent, so you should try and choose an air pump that includes a control valve of some kind to control the amount of air being passed...

Right now, I'm running a Top Fin AIR-8000 to feed my two bars, and I have had to adjust the "flow control wheel" on top of the pump to reduce a bit of the flow to these bars because they were pretty forceful...I always get compliments though on the wall of bubbles from people who see the tank. :)

Yea that's the only real concern, the water agitation. I have the fluval air pump without an adjuster so I use a gang valve, it was like $3 and gets the job done haha

Lol yea I have a 3 way valve on my airline lol coz I wanted to add more lines and have more bubbles when I got my 15g tank :) and if I need another air pump I've got 2 more and one pump has 2 outlets lol

No there can never be to many bubbles as long as the fish aren't dieing or acting strange

No there can never be to many bubbles as long as the fish aren't dieing or acting strange

That would be dying...;)

I don't see how bubbles -- even in a heavy output situation -- would actually kill a fish, but I have witnessed fish struggling, quite violently, against a wicked current which can't be good for them; check out this video I found of a really cool "Greek Ruins" themed tank in which the tropical community appears to be battling some kind of nasty current that's stopping them, seemingly, from even swimming forward...really strange, but something's definitely wrong here:

Ancient Greek Decor Aquarium - YouTube

That would be dying...;)

I don't see how bubbles -- even in a heavy output situation -- would actually kill a fish, but I have witnessed fish struggling, quite violently, against a wicked current which can't be good for them; check out this video I found of a really cool "Greek Ruins" themed tank in which the tropical community appears to be battling some kind of nasty current that's stopping them, seemingly, from even swimming forward...really strange, but something's definitely wrong here:

Ancient Greek Decor Aquarium - YouTube

I see we have a grammar nazi lol jk jk :p but my harlequin was having a hard time I noticed so yea I turned the air down and they are good now! Loving the big space :)

Back
Top Bottom