bubble tip?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pairenoid

Aquarium Advice Freak
i was told it was a bta which is what i wanted but after comparing with others it does not really look similar

the person said it was a green bubble tip anemone

just acclimated it a few hours ago
img_2308496_0_0c7d08f94a32a97578b991bcdd24588b.jpg

It is possible that it's a bta. It's just that it's too bleached out and under nourished. Hope the anemone recovers. Good luck!
Btw, what kind of lighting you have?

i have t5's but its pretty green when the lights are on, although they were never THAT green

it actually looked really cool like that :/ its closing up right now but i dont get why there is only tentacles on the outer rim instead of everywhere, is there an exact name to this species? i cant find anything like it

Give it some time to adjust and some tlc and it can bounce right back. Its probably ailing at this time. They start loosing their tentacles when they are not properly cared for. Once it's situated and regained its health, it should start getting its zoanthele back and growing more tentacles on. Keep an eye on it though. Offer it some food to help it get back on track. Make sure your parameters are stable and avoid getting spikes. That's number 1 cause of death on anemones.
http://www.livingreefs.com/new-bta-t44487.html

Not really sure if I'm allowed to post that link but that's just a reference as to what I'm trying to point out

ok i hope he has enough light i read many times bubble tips will be fine with t5s

its settled in a spot and is a lot more closed up from earlier but still a tad open, not sure if its supposed to look like that, does look bleached

ii have a 20 long so its only like 12 inches high so it should be receiving good light. I placed it at the highest rock but it jumped down to mid level and hasnt moved since. Was cool watching it move.

parameters are perfect, i use ro water too. I might try feeding it tomorow with a turkey baster, i have like 3 different types of shrimp and plankton and pellets

it definitely looks bleached now that i look at it again, i should of realized when i bought it but i thought it was supposed to look transparent with a hint of green instead of full on green

would be nice if the shop owner mentioned its health..o well, all i can do now is wait and feed it

im sure it doesnt help that my skunk and peppermint shrimp keep cleaning/eating it

img_2309840_0_51aba00d4c84151134f0439463a7a520.jpg

so here is a picture, over time there was a bit of green to come back, hard to see in the photo

im not sure how green it should be but how bad is this bleaching

so here is a picture, over time there was a bit of green to come back, hard to see in the photo

im not sure how green it should be but how bad is this bleaching

It's pretty bleached, but not beyond recovering with really good lighting. Mine was pretty bleached when I got it too. Here's a pic when I got it, and then after it recovered. It's a couple months between pic.

image-2990021175.jpg

image-630630898.jpg

yours healed up nicely, i can wait a few months, but im still not certain if it will survive, ive never had an anemone before im not sure what the behaviors are

yours actually looks like 2 different anemones, i wonder why

also mine looks different than every one i look up, is it because its so open? it only closes up at night partially and fully when shrimps bother it

Mine does look like 2 different nems, but its the same one. :) Haha.
They don't stay bubbled up all the time. Actually, from what I've read, no one is certain what makes them bubble up. There is a theory that when they're bubbled up, they're tense and stressed, but it's just a theory.

i just tried feeding it shrimp with chop sticks and a baster, no success, the food simply didnt stay near him and he didnt try to grab anything

as well as the **** shrimps touching him again :/, had to feed them a shrimp a piece so they would go away

i dont get why my bta is opened up! the parameters are fine, im setting up my water for tomorrow too..hopefuly it helps

i just tried feeding it shrimp with chop sticks and a baster, no success, the food simply didnt stay near him and he didnt try to grab anything

as well as the **** shrimps touching him again :/, had to feed them a shrimp a piece so they would go away

i dont get why my bta is opened up! the parameters are fine, im setting up my water for tomorrow too..hopefuly it helps

What do you mean by "opened up"? Do you mean that it's all big and wide? If so, that's because it's trying to get as much light as possible in order to survive. I wouldn't even bother trying to feed it food at this point. I'm not sure if its true, but I've read that they exert more energy digesting food than they get from the food. Just let it soak up some light for a while. I only give my anemone a little food about once a week. Hopefully your lights will be enough to let it recover.

i read 2 different published articles that said t5 are more than enough for a bubble tip, so hopefully yeah.

i am concerned that he chose a spot lower in the tank instead of above. If you look at the pic, he looks opened up. Other anemones i see dont display their mouth

basically i can see my anemones mouth 100% of the time, the mouth itself is closed but i saw it open once or twice. My anemone looks weirder than others because the tentacles are all short and keeps showing his mouth

Not sure if this helps but I read somewhere that you can't feed with chopsticks or anything artificial because it is clever enough to know. I hand feed mine (a very small whole fish once every 10 days or so) and it has never refused food...

ill try to hand feed it again soon, sometimes the food floats straight up though

Hmm, when you touch the tentacles are they sticky? With mine when the food touches the tentacles they all draw in, take the food and put it in its mouth - it's pretty cool to watch! Don't put food directly in its mouth tho...

was not sticky it felt soft like a pulsing xenia, really soft
but i touched it quickly cuz i was scared haha

so it moved so far down that its in my pistols burrow and i can probably no longer spot feed it at all

should i be worried that my pistol shrimp might bother it? hes bothered many of my other corals, im not sure if he would be pissed that a coral is blocking his burrow

HO T5's are enough depending on how many, what wattage, and size tank. Anemones can eat but they get all they need from light source. Some people have written that feeding them causes stress

Back
Top Bottom