Bud's Craislist 55 Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bud

Aquarium Advice Freak
So, today I scored BIG TIME on CL! Found a "55g tank and stand with two filters" for $80. What I got was the tank, like new stand, hood with regular lighting, three filters, three heaters, a python tube (just the clear tubing and not much) and several various foods and chemicals. The filters were a penguin 200, an AC50 and an AC70. The guy said the 70 wouldn't work, so I swapped the impeller from the 50 and now have a $55 filter plus i can put the 50 impeller in my 30 plus the rest! Super happy!

I got the stand cleaned and polished, got the tank cleaned and filled up outside to leak test and the filter repaired so far. Still need to move my 16 to clear the area this tank is going. I could use some help with stocking. Going with dark substrate, heavily planted, DW, natural look. I was thinking of schools of cardinal, serpae, and rummynose tetras and some harlequin rasboras with some cories or ottos and shrimp and snails for clean up crew. Lots of small fish I what I have envisioned. Open to any and all suggestions. This is gonna be fun!

Hadn't thought much about a centerpiece fish. If I did get one it would need to be colorful with some personality. Suggestions?

Congrats! (y) I scored my 55g tank/stand/accessories a year ago off of CL for only $100. Gotta love the great deals you can find on there!

I don't have any fish like the ones you're wanting to add, so I can't comment on them. But I do have some that you might be interested in and I can give you the pros and cons. My stock list and pics of my fish are in my profile album.

Congrats again on your tank! Can't wait to see pics! :D

Thanks! Got it cycling away with some filter media from my 16g. Hope to get some plants in there by the weekend. Here's some pics!

Attachments

• image-2503944868.jpg
    image-2503944868.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 280
  • image-230250585.jpg
    image-230250585.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 287
  • image-857053974.jpg
    image-857053974.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 293
  • image-1784466934.jpg
    image-1784466934.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 288
WOW!! That is an awesome layout! Nice work!! :D

What type of plants are you considering? I can imagine a few Amazon Swords in the rear-center close to your driftwood. ;)

I haven't got it all figured out just yet. I don't know all the plant names either. Some dwarf baby tears in the front with some mico swords. I have some amazon swords that are outgrowing my 16, so they'll be in there. I had this red plant in my other tank that I couldn't keep alive, I assume due to light. I'll most likely have one of those. Some tall wavy background stems and I don't know what else. I need to spend some time on plantgeek.

I like the rainbow shark. I'm now thinking about making it a barb tank. I'm thinking if moving my 9 tiger barbs over, then adding 4-6 denison's barbs (red line torpedo barbs), maybe some black rubys and odessas... Still very heavily planted and same clean up crew.

Bud said:
I like the rainbow shark. I'm now thinking about making it a barb tank. I'm thinking if moving my 9 tiger barbs over, then adding 4-6 denison's barbs (red line torpedo barbs), maybe some black rubys and odessas... Still very heavily planted and same clean up crew.

Just saying, but a rainbow shark would be able to hold it's own against barbs... Lol, you can obviously see where my loyalties lie!

New pic from today. Moved some plants over. Loving how green they look in this light. Also, have no ammonia and tons of nitrites and nitrates already. Should be able to move fish in in no time. :)

Attachments

• image-1024801631.jpg
    image-1024801631.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 191
New pic from today. Moved some plants over. Loving how green they look in this light. Also, have no ammonia and tons of nitrites and nitrates already. Should be able to move fish in in no time. :)

Looks great!! (y)

Good luck w/ your cycle! It sounds like you're almost there! :D

Your tank is looking great I would say you got one heck of a deal. I always feel great when I get some rockin deals off of CL. I would have to say I'm a craigslist junky lol

Nice! Craigslist is honestly THE spot to but tanks haha. What about a nice school of tiger barbs in there along with one of the suggested "centerpieces"?

Thanks for the kind words. It was a fantastic deal. I can't see buying another tank from a store again.

Definitely going to be a barb tank. There will be at least three schools of different barbs and tons of plants.

Great deal! Good looking tank as well. Nice piece of DW :)

Back
Top Bottom