Buffering substrates w/ 0 KH tap water & Your favorite one(s)?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autumnsky

Site Team
Questions for anybody who might know.

My tap water is 0 KH and pH 6.5-7.5 (depending on where our town gets their water from - the reservoir- 7.2-7.5 or the snow melt lake 6.4-6.7) and this stuff buffers down to ~6.5 pH give or take the brand.

I have been looking at all brands and didn't find anything really to give me the info I am looking for.

The tank will house CRS or PRL.

I rather not worry about the ammonia spikes I hear about from ADA Amazonia.

Do not want to buy silty mush /substrate which breaks down easily either.

In my other tank there is a nice grey uniformly round shrimp substrate looks like this. I got it previously used for free when I bought the shrimp. Guy couldn't remember what the name of it was, but it was a cheaper version of the ADA stuff. It is great and has remained in the shape it started in and I am guessing it is at least 3.5 years+ old. He thought it could have been something with Aqua in the name

Two pics:
60074-albums14480-picture69706.jpg

Focus of the substrate is best in the center above and to the left of the shrimp in this pic
60074-albums14480-picture69703.jpg

So if you might KNOW what this kind is by the look of it - the grains are nearly identical size, not small, med, and lg. sizes together like some I have seen.

***Anyhow, will this buffer lower because my kH and/ or pH is already low?

Some of the ones I thought of getting was the Fluval Shrimp or Plant Strattum, or U.P. Aqua.

There is Brightwell, ADA, Mr. Aqua, S. T. International Soil, Dennerle Shrimp King Active Soil, Altum Aquatic Shrimp and Plant Aquarium Soil which I have looked at.

Please share your favorite and why.

It looks a little like my biohome gravel that I have in my Biorb.

IMG_1483668153.309065.jpg

But there probably similar looking products on the market.

That looks very similar. These are about 1mm - they look bigger in the pic. Is it light and fluffy in the water but has just enough weight to sink nicely?

The round orb makes it look bigger. They sink fine and when I vacuum they come up a bit but I can control it by decreasing the pull of the siphon. I'll tank another pic tomorrow with a dime to give you some reference.

Maybe AquaSoil? I've only ever seen it from a distance, but it has Aqua in the name and everyone I know that keeps shrimp swear by it. Worth looking into.

Here is a pic. I think this stuff is inert so it may not be what you are looking for and it is $$$. IMG_1483718015.343902.jpg

Back
Top Bottom