Buffy's 1st Ever SW Build - Reef Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There is water displacement due to the rocks, just depends onhow much you got. ;-)

I take out water in 5g buckets so i know exactly how much to put back in. At least that was my system until I just got the 125g and it would be impratical to continue that way.

But yeah, for a smaller tank, if youre taking out 20g for a pwc just get a few buckets from home depot. I got painters buckets so it has the gallons measured on the sides.

Hope that helps

You should start a build thread, that way you can ask all your questions in one place. :)

Plus, everyone loves a good build thread with pictures! LOL

Just a thread that you keep going with updates and pictures. I start mine off when I get a bare tank and go from there. I just ask questions and people answer! It's awesome!

I start new threads if I have a specific question that I want a broad range of people to see. Usually with a "build" thread you have a few people who follow religiously and know their stuff. :)

Well now that makes sense, I figured that would be this thread then. I did start two others, specifically because I wanted input on the filter I bought since I need to return the SeaClone, then another for input bout sand and rock. I'm doing the sand and rock buying tomorrow. I will include pictures as I do things but right now, my profile pic is it. I plan on rearranging the rock after I get more tomorrow then I will post new pics. I'm nervous about making the aquascape sturdy so I did the new thread. Everyone check it out and throw me some of your excellent knowledge and creativity:) for my sand and rock thread.

Do I need to have this thread moved to make it into a build thread or should I start another one somewhere? I need all the advice, ideas, input, info, brainstorming, creativity and of course honest opinions from everyone so I like the idea of build thread.

May be good to name my tank "The AquariumAdvice.Com Forum's Community Reef Tank" LOL

P.S. Creativity is a definite help as I have none.:hide:

Well then this is your build thread then! Woot! your first build, might not be your last once you get the hang of it. :)

I started with a 45 hex tank last year, and at the height of my obsession I had 8 tanks. I'm down to 6 now. :)

Every one of them was an absolute joy to do! well, the 125g reef is giving me some trouble with the hardware but other than that it was just plain fun.

Oh one other thing, you can write a pm to a moderator of the forum and have this thread moved to the sw forum, you'll get more views and people to see it there. You can also ask them to change the name of the thread to, like "yourname"'s first attempt at sw or something catchy. :)

The moderators and admins I believe are listed in bold on the main page where it lists all the members online. You just click their name and send a pm, I'm sure they'll be glad to help.

Thanks, did that and we have moved.

I have questions in another thread, dealing with sand and rock. Please read and post. My ride is picking me up in a few hours. Need as much info as I can get, thanks. Gonna be a 2 to 2 1/2 hour drive one way. Hope the stores have something. If anyone knows of any Saltwater Aquarium Stores in Madison Wisconsin, please tell me. I found only 2 stores so far on tbe internet to try to find down there.

Bedtime, Night all, hope to see alot of posts when I get up in a few hours on this thread and my other one too.

Maybe I should call this tank to be... a mixed tank, after a little more understanding of the differences. I want a mixture of marine life.

My tank is my profile picture. Haven't made any changes til I get more rock. Leaving soon for a long drive, never been to this store so may come back with nothing. Then on my next free day (next friday) I will drive to Foster and Smith (an hour going the other direction). Only place around here other than ordering online. Petco/Petsmart stink here for that stuff. One of the two stores (I forget which) had some Rock in their tank and fish but from the conditions, I won't buy anything from them. I was surprised that the guy I bought my stuff (besides the tank/stand) from didn't talk to me more, and the more I think about he was about making the buck cause it didn't take long to go from one item to the next and basically gave me very general answers and ended with "for now". Lesson learned.

Looks good though. :)

What is your missin today as far as buying stuff? Are you on a rock journey today? lol

Yes, rock journey and I think I need more sand, 80 pounds sand in it now. Though it doesn't look like enough of a layer for burrowers, they say 1-2 pounds per gallon and so right now I basically have 1 per gal.

I wasted some salt and water, but I think I'm going to drain it cause I didn't rinse the sand first and it would be easier to put in the rock. I have some color on the rock now but I don't honestly think it has started cycling let alone being done with cycling, especially since I have Chlorine in it. If this shop has an RO/DI's and they are ok priced I may jump. For all I know the store could be just a hole in the wall.

I'll be able to access forum from my hero while on the road. Hope people post for info. I looked online for rock but am uncomfortable with it cause I can't see it or feel it up close and personal.

You know you don't have to buy all "live" rock right? If you get, say 25% live rock and 75% of base rock you will be ok.

heres a link for base rock, it's $90 for 50lbs I believe with free shipping

ReefCleaners.org | Clean Up Crews and Macro Algae - Rock

Yep, an ro/di unit would be a great buy!

I don't think you have to empty your tank out, just drain a bunch of the water down to the rock level and refill with saltwater. The sand storm will subside in a day or so. BUT if you're set on adding more sand then maybe that's your best bet. Just make sure to keep your rock wet while you do it. :)

Good luck!

Hey, you're in good hands with Carey helping you, she's great! Welcome to AA, I'll be along for the ride. I'm probably setting up my first saltwater tank as well some time in the near future. Way to bite the bullet man!

Hey, you're in good hands with Carey helping you, she's great! Welcome to AA, I'll be along for the ride. I'm probably setting up my first saltwater tank as well some time in the near future. Way to bite the bullet man!

Come along, the more the merrier. Good luck with your's too. Yes Carey has been awesome.

Back
Top Bottom