Bug on aquarium plant!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guppygirl87

Aquarium Advice Regular
I woke up today to see a small snail like bug slithering on my plant. What is it and is it harmful? I tried to scoop it out, I don't know if I got it as it fell down to the gravel and I ended up scooping gravel in with it (I hope)

Yes, it's a snail. They reproduce like crazy and can be hard to get rid of. There used to be drops called Snail B Gone, but the EPA took them off the market. Now, there are loaches that eat them or assasin snails that kill the other snails. I'm battling them, too, and am trying loaches. I found a dead loach today. We'll see...I may try the assasin snail, if the loaches don't take care of them. Good luck!!

snails themselves are not bad, but they can show a problem with overfeeding if you see an explosion of them, in a nomal tank, a few crawling around is not bad at all... 50 to 500 means a gravel cleaning and easing up on food is necessary... otherwise, they just keep things cleaner..

I only had the one and have gravel cleaned and found no more. So fingers crossed. :)

Back
Top Bottom