Bug/worm in tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sand dollar

Aquarium Advice FINatic
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410311141.583374.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410311158.015184.jpg

Any thoughts on this? Saw it for the first time tonight scurrying mostly around my zoas/polys but it didn't seem to be eating them. It is small and moves around very fast. Not sure I could catch if even if I needed to take it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It's definitely an amphipod

If it's the first time you see it in your tank then get.ready to see hundreds more. They usually scurry about at night. They are a good sign. If this is your first time seeing one, I am assuming you are new to the saltwater hobby.

I am, about 1.5 months into it. Glad it's a good sign! What do they do?

They eat detritus from the tank and serve as a food source for some fish like mandarins and six line wrasse but I don't recommend you get a fish that feeds solely on the little critters until you have a huge amount of these critters.

Just keep up with your tank husbandry and you will see tons of new things come to life. Ohh and get ready to drop serious money cause it is not cheap to keep a saltwater aquarium. Well that's if you want to do it correct. The key is research. If you are not sure about something just start a thread or google it.

I am quickly learning that! :) My shopping/wish list is growing. I'd really like to get an rodi unit because I am obsessive about water changes and am running to the LFS too much! Luckily it's only a 14 gallon so I'm not hauling tons of water at a time.

I was doing the same thing. It sucks to make the trips back and forth. With smaller tanks, the water chemistry can get real bad really quick. Your tank husbandry has to be on point. Create a a schedule for your testing and water changes.

Yes, definitely! Water change Wednesday :) 5-10% per week. More if nitrates or phosphates seem to be climbing.

Why would your phosphates be climbing? What kind of media do you use? How often and what do you feed?

They haven't in a while. Just saying I would do more if I saw increase in numbers. I have a biocube so have a filter cartridge in the first column I rinse weekly and change monthly, also have a purigen and carbon pack in there as well. Second column has the bioballs and third has the sponge filter and pump. I have considered replacing the bioballs with a media canister but haven't yet. I feed a small amount daily, 1/4-1/3 a cube of mysis or cyclops that I rinse before putting in the tank. I have a clown, a three striped damsel, skunk cleaner shrimps and three hermits and snails. I have also started blowing off the rocks with the baster the night before water changes to try to catch any detritus laying around in the filter so it gets rinsed out the next day. Any changes or recommendations you have? I still have algae on my rocks, so have been trying to cut back photoperiod (6-7hrs of the compact florescents now) and reduce feedings a little to fix that.

Recommendations: don't remove all of the filter sponges at the same time. They carry beneficial bacteria on them and you want new bacteria to colonize the new sponges before replacing the old ones. What kind of algae are you speaking of? It it's brown and covering your sand bed then it's just diatoms since your tank is very young. It will go away on its own as your tank matures.

By the way, that's a lot of stock for a tank that is only 1.5 months old.

Back
Top Bottom