building a 2.5 micro planted tank with a betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

livefishguy124

Aquarium Advice FINatic
so i got a 2.5 gallon aquarium at auction for $2 and a female beta with it for $2 also, i also got some floating fern plant. and this is going to just going to be a tread following the tank step by step. the female is with my male right now to see if they will spawn. hes been showing off for about 13 hours now, and hasn't been mean to her:)(y) or built a bubble nest yet:(

2.5g is too small for even one mature Betta IMO. That's going to need daily water changes and monitoring. Being so small, I'll be surprised if you can keep a stable cycle in it.

I think of it this way. Look at the size of the tank. Look at the size of a full mature Betta. Even small ones. It's like sending you to live in a small walk in closet. There just isn't that much room. That's the way I see it.

Being a 2.5g I would just do shrimp. My opinion, not to derail the thread.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Last edited:
A 2.5 is a bit small for breeding bettas, and even with one, it is a little iffy. If you need some suggestions for stocking, maybe some goldfish crackers would do. :) Anyway, a well planted shrimp tank looks stunning once the colony gets going.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Even if you are not breeding them in the 2.5 gallon, it is still small like the others had said.

Sent from my 710C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would spend a bit of time researching betta breeding. They need to be properly introduced to each other after conditioning or else the female usually gets punished for it. I would give you more info, but i haven't personally done it although I spent a fair amount of time watching my room mate struggle to do it.

As to the 2.5g tank, it can be done in that small of a tank but I wouldn't go any smaller. Keep an eye on ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates and feed sparingly.

Back
Top Bottom