Building lighting canopy need help with hardware

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeraljay

Aquarium Advice Regular
I want to build a custom light canopy and I dont know what electrical companets I will need. My canopy is going to be 60' in length. My question isnt on the constructiuon side but rather on the electrical hardware side. I want to run 400 to 500w, MH light. So I was thinking about either 3- 150 w MH bulbs spread out evenly or 2- 150 bulbs and 1- 250 in the middle. Because I want to run a reef etup I am leaning towards the 550w setup. I know I will probably need two or three fans to cool it also. If someone could give me a quick snapshoot of the hardware (and where to get it)I will need that would help me out a lot.

Thanks
Jeff

HPS (high preasure sodium lamps) have great light output but the color temperature of the bulbs is in the 3,000K range, you might want to skip that.. they will look very red/orange. It would be ideal if they made HPS bulbs in the correct K's but I havnt had much luck finding anything (I think I found something close to 5,000K in HPS but have sence lost it and thats not much good for anything but the refugium anyway)

Nevermind.. I saw HPS in the link and thought of HPS..
the ballast is rated M59.. thats a probe start (american bulbs) in the 400Wattage varity
of ballast..
It does seem to look a little rough *they are rough looking but that one has a bit of
extra dust or dirt on it..

btw..
ANSI rateings for ballasts..
pulse start at 400W is "M135" and HQI ballasts are rated "SON AGRO"
and to run the Iwasaki 6500K 400W bulb on a magnetic ballast you would need a H33.

alot of people are telling me to go electronic with MH.. Im not quite convenced yet but it
is holding me back from building.. :roll: :?

You siad the rule of thumb is 1 MH per every two feet so 2 mh for 5 feet should be okay right?
In your opinion would you go 3-175w or 2-250w?

Back
Top Bottom