Building up bioload ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

logansmomma1228

Aquarium Advice Addict
My 4 otos should be in next week. I have a few ????'s though.

First off if I use brine shrimp to slowly build up the bioload will it work ( as in my tank will be able to handle 4 otos at once from me putting a little extra b.s in there every day) or will it throw the tank into a mini cycle?

Secondly I am a little nervous as of how to acclimate them with the puffer already est. in the tank. My plan was to get Alejandro first so that the tank had time to establish a food source (algae) for the otos. But then I have been reading more and more that the otos should have been first so they had places to hide and won't get attacked.

Last but not least, how do I prepare veggies for the otos? I have read of blanched zucchini and peas but I need a refresher on how to prepare it (can't I just put little pieces in some water and nuke them?)

TIA for any and all advice :ninja:

Not quite sure I understand using the b.s. to build bioload, you mean to create ammonia?

As far as feeding the otos if the tank isnt fully established with enough algae grub for them, i just used algae wafers. I honestly think itll take a while to get it established with one puffer, but thats just my opinion.

The veggies can be blanched and the peas can just go in the microwave and then take the skin off before you give it to them.

Well I know adding too many fish at once can throw the tank into a mini cycle so my idea was to try and build up enough ammonia slowly so that it is already used to it and it won't go into a mini cycle as soon as I put them in. That's the best I can explain it I guess. I don't want any levels to spike because I know my little Alejandro could be in some trouble if that happens.

I wouldn't worry about adding four otos. They produce a very small bioload. It's when you add a lot of fish at once that the tank may mini-cycle.

I think I'd pull the puffer out while you add the otos. This will give the otos a chance to get to the bottom of the tank before the puffer sees them. I've heard too many stories about adding fish, only to have the established fish in the tank think the new fish are food because they've been dumped in like food. Just put the puffer in a clean bowl or bucket for a little while.

Boil some water and drop the vegetables in just long enough to soften them a bit. If you boil them too long, they'll lose a lot of their nutrients.

Back
Top Bottom