BuildMyLed Dutch 6300k

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bshenanagins

Aquarium Advice Addict
Anyone have good experience with their planted tank setups? Looking to convert from my CF setup and I know LEDS are getting popular. Just not sure if they are making a dent in the planted world.

I don't have any direct experience with this lighting system, but from what I've been reading out there, seems like a lot of potential with these BML fixtures. If you have the budget for it, I'd definitely get it. Depending on how tall your tank is and whether or not you plan to suspend the fixture, you might need to get the dimmer because these fixtures can put out some high light. Rivercats would be best to share her insight since she has a few of them now. But from what I'm seeing, they're nice!

I would definitely convert over! I'm thinking of trying one out myself in the near future.

I don't have any direct experience with this lighting system, but from what I've been reading out there, seems like a lot of potential with these BML fixtures. If you have the budget for it, I'd definitely get it. Depending on how tall your tank is and whether or not you plan to suspend the fixture, you might need to get the dimmer because these fixtures can put out some high light. Rivercats would be best to share her insight since she has a few of them now. But from what I'm seeing, they're nice!

Oh I didn't even realize Janis uses them, I know she has metal halides on her 220.

We have these fixtures over the 55g, 24g Nuvo, 12g Fluval Edge, and one as supplemental front lighting on the 220g. I like them a lot and advise anyone who gets them to purchase the dimmer that can be added to the light. Then you can use the light from 10% to 100%. I love having the fixtures on 10% at night. And so do the fish!

We have these fixtures over the 55g, 24g Nuvo, 12g Fluval Edge, and one as supplemental front lighting on the 220g. I like them a lot and advise anyone who gets them to purchase the dimmer that can be added to the light. Then you can use the light from 10% to 100%. I love having the fixtures on 10% at night. And so do the fish!

So just one over my 40 would still be medium high light? And I keep hearing the dimmer doesn't work properly your the first to compliment it. I guess you have to manual dim and can't time it right?

So just one over my 40 would still be medium high light? And I keep hearing the dimmer doesn't work properly your the first to compliment it. I guess you have to manual dim and can't time it right?

The dimmer is a manual dimmer and not suppose to be worked via a timer. It has a turn by hand knob. It works just the way it was meant to work. I would call them and talk to them about the dimmer as they are very helpful on the phone.

If you have a 40L then it would probably be close to high light if not high light.

The dimmer is a manual dimmer and not suppose to be worked via a timer. It has a turn by hand knob. It works just the way it was meant to work. I would call them and talk to them about the dimmer as they are very helpful on the phone.

If you have a 40L then it would probably be close to high light if not high light.

Did you mean 40 gallon? That's what I have you just said liters so I don't want any confusion. Dang US and our lack of metrics!

Maybe 40L as in 40 Long (40 gallon Long, 48" x 12" x 16")??? I don't think she'd use liters unless you were from the UK! haha

Ahh... okay... so online I see that a 40 gallon Breeder is 36" x 18" x 16". Now, depending on how tall your substrate is, usually 2 to 3", you're looking at about 13" from light to sub if you put this light on the rim of your tank.

Here's a nifty PAR chart that the folks at BML have provided for us (they're awesome for this!):
ilaZTZaUImQyO.jpg

So you're looking at about 100 PAR right under the fixture with a 90 degree optics option w/ some drop off in PAR the further away going front and back.

So according to HERE:
PAR Values(Source) - Thanks Gnomecatcher for the suggestion!
Values between 10-30 are considered low light.
Values between 30-80 are considered medium light.
Values between 80-120 are considered high light.
Keep in mind that these values are what is currently accepted by the community as accurate, and aren't set in stone.

So without a dimmer, you'll definitely be in the high light territory. Which is totally fine so long as you're prepared to crank up that CO2 and/or Glut to fend off an algae farm. If you don't get the dimmer, you can always suspend the fixture to add in some distance.

The way I've been using the fixtures with the dimmers is I run them 100% for 6 hours, then 10% for about 4 more hours. I'm not having any algae issues with this.

And I did mean long... lol!

Thanks guys appreciate your time I'm definitely going to grab this when I get the chance ($$$)

Back
Top Bottom