bulb or fixture problem?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Unicorn

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So, i finally got my light fixture (sunlight supply Tek 8x80w T5HO) and I set it up with new light bulbs which were also ordered online. If u ever wanna wear sunglasses inside the house, that is the way to go ;b

Here is the problem: sporadically one of the light bulbs (usually the aqua blue, sometimes the others) turns off itself only to come on at a later time. It usually is only one bulb at a time not two. Sometimes all are on for a period of time and then all the sudden one goes off again.
Because this is a new fixture and new light bulbs I don't really know which is faulty.

They are the right bulbs for the right fixture (80w) and we did the whole 90 degree making-sure-it's-in-place thingy.

Please help!!!!
Thank you

have you tried swapping bulb locations? and if they havent pick up your other two fixtures you could always try the bulbs in them? its just time, probably in short supply for you though isnt it?

coffeetwitch said:
have you tried swapping bulb locations? and if they havent pick up your other two fixtures you could always try the bulbs in them? its just time, probably in short supply for you though isnt it?

Well, UPS is gonna puck them up tomorrow and I have school, doubt I will have time to try out the other fixture.
I may try swapping bulbs but have to wait until tomorrow late afternoon as I can't lift the fixture myself >.<

I had the same issue, turned out my bulbs weren't in correctly totally. I would try to reseat the bulbs and see if that helps. It did for me.

That would be so nice if that's all it was. Sometimes rechecking the fifth time does it for me too when I have problems.

rdnelson99 said:
Sounds to me like the ballast is going bad.

Oh I soooo hope NOT >.< it's like the third light fixture they had to send me :,(
I'll try what Carey said when my BF comes back from work... I pray that will fix it.

I felt soo dumb when I couldnt get all my bulbs to light and all it was is that I didnt get them seated right. LOL The bulbs are so tiny I didnt wanna force them so that was my issue. I went in with a little more force and it has been fine ever since. I even called the retailer when they woudln't light and blamed the bulbs. Boy did I feel silly. hehe

I'm thinking bulb too. If it where ballast wouldn't all the bulbs on that ballast go out at the same time or flicker un unison? I've seen a bad bulb also affect the circuit. Causing the pair not to light

coffeetwitch said:
I'm thinking bulb too. If it where ballast wouldn't all the bulbs on that ballast go out at the same time or flicker un unison? I've seen a bad bulb also affect the circuit. Causing the pair not to light

Well, this is the issue: it is not pairs that won't light up, it's singles.

Also, the fixture is VERY quiet and I wonder if the ballast shouldn't at least be humming :( maybe it's overheating and they go off once In a while bc of that.

Leaving campus right now and will turn on one of the bad fixtures to see if they make a sound... Hope I'll make it home b4 UPS does

carey said:
I felt soo dumb when I couldnt get all my bulbs to light and all it was is that I didnt get them seated right. LOL The bulbs are so tiny I didnt wanna force them so that was my issue. I went in with a little more force and it has been fine ever since. I even called the retailer when they woudln't light and blamed the bulbs. Boy did I feel silly. hehe

The thing is: they ALL light up and then sporadically turn off once in a while :( do they do that with a bad connection?

Buzzing is bad. That would be a ballast getting worn or hot. If it's just singles I'm saying bulbs because a single ballast will control more than one bulb. Yours is an 8 bulb? So depending on how it's wired 2-4 ballasts.

coffeetwitch said:
Buzzing is bad. That would be a ballast getting worn or hot. If it's just singles I'm saying bulbs because a single ballast will control more than one bulb. Yours is an 8 bulb? So depending on how it's wired 2-4 ballasts.

Ok... AWESOME :) hope that's the issue then. Still driving trying to beat the UPS guy.

ok, so here is what I was able to come up with:
None of the fixtures buzzed/hummed when turned on. Granted the two spare ones had no light bulbs on, but i'm just not able to take the installed fixture off by myself.

The installed fixture was already on when I came home thx to the timer. ALL the light bulbs are currently on.
Maybe it was just an inital fluke due to new and un-used light fixture and it just needed to "warm up" ?!?!

we shall find out more in our next episode of "Fixture Of Doom" :popcorn:

Unicorn said:
red traffic light ;)

You know you are addicted to AA if you check the forum with ur phone at a red traffic light... :angel:

Yeah I was driving back from lunch. It would have been more amusing if u knew that part. I would still try to wiggle test the bulbs.

ok, so here is what I was able to come up with:
None of the fixtures buzzed/hummed when turned on. Granted the two spare ones had no light bulbs on, but i'm just not able to take the installed fixture off by myself.

The installed fixture was already on when I came home thx to the timer. ALL the light bulbs are currently on.
Maybe it was just an inital fluke due to new and un-used light fixture and it just needed to "warm up" ?!?!

we shall find out more in our next episode of "Fixture Of Doom" :popcorn:

Old fluorescent fixtures used to buzz because they had magnetic ballast. With this being a new fixture the ballasts will be electronic and will not buzz. Checking to be sure the lamps are seated properly is definitely the first thing to try but just because one lamp on a circuit acts differently than the others on that circuit does not rule out a ballast. Check the cheap stuff first. Go to Home Depot and buy the cheapest T5 lamp you can find regardless of the type or color. Just make sure the wattage of the HD lamp matches the ones in your fixture. You can try it in the place of the ones you have been having trouble with. If the problem goes away it is a lamp. If not, it is loose wiring or a faulty ballast. You can keep that lamp and use it for future tests.

rdnelson99 said:
Old fluorescent fixtures used to buzz because they had magnetic ballast. With this being a new fixture the ballasts will be electronic and will not buzz. Checking to be sure the lamps are seated properly is definitely the first thing to try but just because one lamp on a circuit acts differently than the others on that circuit does not rule out a ballast. Check the cheap stuff first. Go to Home Depot and buy the cheapest T5 lamp you can find regardless of the type or color. Just make sure the wattage of the HD lamp matches the ones in your fixture. You can try it in the place of the ones you have been having trouble with. If the problem goes away it is a lamp. If not, it is loose wiring or a faulty ballast. You can keep that lamp and use it for future tests.

Thx, that's a great advice!

The fixture has been running all day today without any problems and without me doing anything. I hope it stays like that

Back
Top Bottom