Bulb recommendations?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlk

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi everyone! I am looking for some recommendations to upgrade the T5HO 48" bulbs in my AquaMarine light fixture (65 or 67k). Something reasonably priced. I upgraded the light fixtures on both of my tanks back in December. Well, strangely enough, the plants with the cheap light fixture (T5HO odyssea) are growing like crazy & the plants with the expensive light fixture (T5HO aquamarine) are growing but not thriving. Both tanks are 55g with pfs and are treated exactly the same. The only difference is the lights. I can visually tell the bulbs in the Aquamarine are dull when compared to the Odyssea. The Aquamarine takes any standard 48" T5HO bulb. Any suggestions are appreciated!!!

There are all other bulbs, and there are Giesemanns. They truly are worlds apart. Bit more expensive, but they really bring out colors IME.

Best thing to do, especially since you have two tanks, is to try different bulbs in each system. You can find what gets your plants and fish looking healthy and colorful. Personally, I don't know anyone who doesn't like Giesemanns, cept for the cost, but there are lots of good bulbs around and color combos. I use 2 6500k and a pink 6700k flora in my 3 bulb setup. The red in my fluorite gravel pops when I have a 'flora' tube and it's good for the plants.

On my 29g, I have a twin bulb T5 HO fixture. One 6700k and one 10000k. Both are ZooMed brand. No issues.

On our 55g, I have a 3light fixture (T5HO):

2 x 6700k. One is a stock Odysea brand, other is ZooMed

1x 10000k stock Odysea branded

aqua_chem said:
There are all other bulbs, and there are Giesemanns. They truly are worlds apart. Bit more expensive, but they really bring out colors IME.

Just switched to giesmanns yesterday, I agree. They are truly the best bulbs ever. Brings out the colors of fish and plants. I'm super happy with them, worth the extra cash.

Ok- quick question on the Giesemann bulbs. It is best to purchase two Midday or a combo of Midday & Aquaflora? Thanks!

Ok- quick question on the Giesemann bulbs. It is best to purchase two Midday or a combo of Midday & Aquaflora? Thanks!
I bought a midday and an aquaflora, It looks nice and is reccommended for plants. Its a awesome combo imo

Thank you everyone!!! Your advice is appreciated as always! I look forward to purchasing some new bulbs! :)

Back
Top Bottom