Bulging brain coral.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

apet66

Aquarium Advice Addict
Recently I noticed my brain coral has bulging spots on it. They move to different spots along the ridges so it seems like It's never bulging in the same spot from day to day. After they move to a different area the coral looks fine in that spot. Recently upgraded my T5 bulbs to power chrome 22000k actinic+ and 15000k aquablue+ same watt bulbs. Could it be bubble algae under the flesh of the coral or is it growing? The areas that bulge look kind of brown.

ForumRunner_20130304_184757.jpg

Ok, so the whole coral seems to be inflating and deflating right now. Looks like an air bubble is trying to escape out one of its mouths.

ForumRunner_20130304_200346.jpg

Nice! Over 24hrs and not even a single idea as to what might be causing this.

I saw your thread earlier, I don't know know anything about brain corals I'm sorry. My suggestion would be to call your LFS see if they can provide any insight. Maybe google sick brain corals see if anything like the condition you stated comes up.

I saw your thread earlier, I don't know know anything about brain corals I'm sorry. My suggestion would be to call your LFS see if they can provide any insight. Maybe google sick brain corals see if anything like the condition you stated comes up.
Thanks for your input Chris. I appreciate it.

Woah never seen that before maybe it's splitting heads to grow possibly.

Yeah that's what I'm hoping is going on. Internet isn't being helpful.

I've been researching it too, nothing so far as I can see matches what your going through. I did see something about them spitting eggs into the water to reproduce but I don't know if they only do that when a mate is present. They aren't asexual. I have read a couple reports they they do have a habit of spitting though, can't get anything distinctive with your picture. It's sucks you can't get an answer right now, call your LFS first thing.

Mines been doing this for a while! I thought it was normal. I've had mine for months now and form day 1 it's Inflated when lights come on.

I've been researching it too, nothing so far as I can see matches what your going through. I did see something about them spitting eggs into the water to reproduce but I don't know if they only do that when a mate is present. They aren't asexual. I have read a couple reports they they do have a habit of spitting though, can't get anything distinctive with your picture. It's sucks you can't get an answer right now, call your LFS first thing.

Yeah I spent hours online and didn't see anything either. I'll call my lfs in the morning. Thanks for doing some research for me. It's feeding tentacles have been out more since I changed bulbs in my light fixture. It's definitely weird though.

Mines been doing this for a while! I thought it was normal. I've had mine for months now and form day 1 it's Inflated when lights come on.

Mine sucks water in and inflates itself also. This is different, it has several large swollen bumps in it. In the last picture you can see an air bubble about to escape from one of It's mouths. I'm hoping it is not a parasite or bubble algae inside its flesh.

Back
Top Bottom