Bulk glutaraldehyde

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ashleynicole

Aquarium Advice Addict
If I buy this, how do I know how much to dose? It doesnt seem that much cheaper than buying excel when shipping is considered. Its not a prime item so I have to pay shipping so its about $15 for a quart which is about a liter and 500ml of excel is $10 with free shipping. Excel is 1ml for every 10 gallons. How much would I dose of this metricide?

Also is this the right stuff? I noticed some descriptions said metricide 28 and that it contains a surfactant so im sure that's not good. This doesnt appear to contain anything else....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005CAP2PQ/ref=sr_sp-atf_title_1_3?qid=1388691020&sr=8-3&pi=SY200_QL40

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Buy a gallon of it instead of the quart; it'll save you money. It is approximately twice as strong so if you want to dose in the same volume of excel you will have to dilute it by half with distilled water and keep it in an opaque container out of the light. I personally skip that step and dose half as much as I would of excel.

So is this the right brand though? If I only have to dose half as much its worth it but I dont want to order the wrong thing.

Look it up on the maker's site and ensure it's only got glutaraldehyde in it. Some brands come with an additional bottle of something, I am not sure what it is, but it's only used when you want the product for sterilizing instruments. Most manufacturers will provide a MSDA, which lists what's in it, all dangers associated with it, etc.

Mmmm, I have Metricide ordered . Wondering now if it does indeed need to be diluted with distilled water. Why couldn t you just dose at half the Excell dose? Rivercats, are you reading this?

I don't think you have to dilute it, so long as you remember to reduce the dosage accordingly.. it is still going to dissolve into the water very fast, and it only lasts about 24 hours at most anyway.

Just don't drip it right on top of a plant leaf or a fish, but you wouldn't do that anyway.

Thanks Fishfur. Good advice, I think I ll use a syringe & pull tank water into it. The Angelfish think everything that goes in is food for them & even if I just added food they ll put their little snouts right up to it!

Im thinking the same thing. Draw up half a dose into a 12ml syringe, in my case about 3ml, then fill the rest with tank water and then dispense into tank.

On another note, API CO2 booster is about half the price of excel and dosed at the same concentration, and ive been using it because thats what I could buy locally. So really that runs about the same as ordering the metricide if you calculate shipping and using half as much.

Mmmm, I have Metricide ordered . Wondering now if it does indeed need to be diluted with distilled water. Why couldn t you just dose at half the Excell dose? Rivercats, are you reading this?

You really don't have to dilute it as I mentioned earlier. The only reason people dilute it at all is so they can dose the same amount as they would excel. It's really not a big deal.

Back
Top Bottom