Bumble Bee Gobies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

venters04

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can any one give me some advice on keeping Bumble Bee Gobies I recently was given one from my pet shop because i took an interest in it and it just seems to sit at the bottom of my tank is this normal but its a fascinating fish anyway

That's pretty much what they do. I always loved them though. I never had a lot of success with them though. I know they're brackish. :)

There is a FW species out there. I have some in my puffer tank.

And yeah, that's pretty much all they do...lay there.

Tiff

ok thanx very much i have also heard the gobie family are nutorious jumpers do the bumble bees jump aswell i got this one out of the same tank as the guppys were in so it should be ok in my tank.

I just can't imagine these "lazy" little guys actually mustering up enough energy to get to the surface let alone jump out but I'm certainly no expert on them. Just my observations of when I had them.

pretty sure bb gobies are brackish -- that's all i know about them, though! i love them but have never kept them!

It's something about the stripes. FW stripes go without breaking, and SW stipes are not continuous. It might be switched, but that's about it.

I was thingking of buying some too, but i have a FW tank and i'm planning on putting puffers in there. Will they get along with puffers?

well, i'm not sure yet, since i'm still waiting for the driftwood and plants i bought. But i'm definetly not buying the dwarf puffers. probably the true red eye or peruvians.

The red eyes can grow to 4 inches and peruvians 6 inches.

freshwatergal said:
There is a FW species out there. I have some in my puffer tank.

And yeah, that's pretty much all they do...lay there.

Tiff

There is NO FW species of the BB goby.
The bb goby is strictly BW, they tend not to eat frozen or flake foods and mostly will only go for live food.

There are FW gobies, but ALL bb gobies are brackish.

Raimeiken said:
I was thingking of buying some too, but i have a FW tank and i'm planning on putting puffers in there. Will they get along with puffers?

Bb gobies will quickly become puffer food no matter what species. Bb gobies are much to small and not able to stand up for themselves with any puffer species.

freshwatergal said:
It's something about the stripes. FW stripes go without breaking, and SW stipes are not continuous. It might be switched, but that's about it.

Who the hell told you that?!

There is only ONE species of bb goby, the BW kind.
There are plenty of FW species of goby out there, but Bb gobies are NOT one of them.

folks this is how really BAD myths are started.

Raimeiken said:
well, i'm not sure yet, since i'm still waiting for the driftwood and plants i bought. But i'm definetly not buying the dwarf puffers. probably the true red eye or peruvians.

careful with the red eyes, they are EXTREMELY aggressive and cannot be kept with any tankmates. They will pretty much kill anything else in the tank.

I had 3 bb gobies in a freshwater community tank. I would not recommend this! Some sites say bb gobies need only one teaspoon of salt per gallon, some say one tablespoon per gallon. I put some salt in the tank and they were okay for a while. My bb gobies were out competed for food and within 6 months, I lost them all. Since then I have done much research on bb gobies. The consensus is bb gobies do best when with their own species and they have a reputation as being nippers (mine never were). Also, I found that they were not too interested in frozen foods, and definitely not flakes.
As soon as I find some bb gobies, we are devoting a 20gal BW tank to the little guys and all the live food they want!

Raimeiken , I think you should do a lot more research on puffers. There are several puffers w/the common name of "red-eyes". You really need to find out the scientific name of this fish, so you can look up the exact size & aggressiveness of the fish. Also, I have never heard of a SAP growing larger than 3".

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom