Bumblebee catfish with neons?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

big b

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was wondering if 10 south american bumblebee catfish could live in a 29 gallon densely planted with 20 neons. I hear that they can eat small fish but I'm not sure if neons could be food for them. I am thinking that the densely planted could help but I'm just not sure if they would be safe to put together.

I've kept them with cherry barbs and kuhli loaches for ages and had no issues. I think you'd be ok. Just keep up with water changes in that tank!

I asked this on some other forums and I have gotten another answer. I have 1 yes, 1 no. I'll wait and see what the majority is. I hope the majority is yes.

I have them with Gold Tetras, which are the same size and shape as Neons... Just gold in color. So far I haven't lost any, but I also waited until the tetras were adult sized before I introduced the Bumblebee Catfishes and make sure they are fed enough that they don't need to go hunting. I have no doubt they could eat one of the smaller tetras if it came down to it.

I'm more concerned with having 10 of them in a 30 gallon. Mine are only about 3" in length, but they are very stocky. Also, unless you've specifically designed your scape with them in mind, you may not have enough hiding spots for all of them all... And they LOVE them some hiding spots. Like, I can go a week or three with out ever seeing them.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

And they LOVE them some hiding spots. Like, I can go a week or three with out ever seeing them.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I remember thinking mine were dead... for SIX MONTHS! Of course that was in a 150 gallon with endless places to hide.

Ok I have changed my mind a bit. The majority was gonna point to no anyway. I am thinking about changing the stocking plan in some of my other tanks to squeeze them in.

Back
Top Bottom