Bumblebee cichlids mating???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KKAY27

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just purchased 2 Bumblebee cichlids! There has been some odd behavior between them! I had them in a tank until there new one was finished cycling! The bigger one picked up rocks and made a huge hole! I moved them to a 60g tank and I have noticed them rubbing against each other and they look like there kissing at some points! But there is no aggression! I have a cichlid stone and they fling there bodies on it! The big one also stays in the stone alot! I have 2 Juana cichlid s and 2 peacocks in with them! They never bother any of the other fish! there always chasing each other! Are they mating, what do I need to expect?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1409083994504.jpg
    1409083994504.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 92
  • 1409084036858.jpg
    1409084036858.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 113
African mating behaviour often includes a few main things;

- the male trying to attract a female, he will often do this by flashing for her. He will swim right in front of her, flare his finnage and shake himself.

- the male will find a flat surface in the tank and clear it out for spawning, this can either be a rock you have or he will simply make his own surface by digging into the substrate.

- the female will follow the male to the spawning area and they will dance together, what will happen is the two will swim in a ring together pausing often.

- the male will release the 'sperm' and the female will pick it up with her mouth, they will continue to do this, just swimming in circles, him laying, her picking up.

- when they stop doing this you have a holding female, make note of the day this happens and keep count on the amount of time the female is holding.

- you can expect a female to hold for around 3 weeks, this is 3 weeks without feeding and holding for too long can be very dangerous to the fish's health as it will get weak.

- on the other end, a holding female that gets stressed out too much, either from yourself or other fish, can swallow the eggs early, she should just go back into spawning mode almost instantaneously but try to keep an eye on her.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

OK the bigger one will rub on my plants in front of the other one and shake! it looks like it's having a spasm or something! Is it true the male will turn black while mating? And should I pour some warmer water in the tank to make them think it's breeding time? I read that some were to!

OK the bigger one will rub on my plants in front of the other one and shake! it looks like it's having a spasm or something! Is it true the male will turn black while mating? And should I pour some warmer water in the tank to make them think it's breeding time? I read that some were to!

Normally the male will brighten it's colouring to attract a mate.
I guess if the male has black bars they will get darker and more prominent.
I mostly associate my fish getting dark with them being bullied and stressed out.

You could try the warm water thing, I've heard that too, honestly, if the fish wants to mate, it will.

I have an eight year old bumble bee that's solid black with darker bars. He's the tank boss so definitely not stressed as everyone leaves him alone. Dark coloring doesn't always mean something is wrong.

Bumblebees can change their colour in an instant. I think I had read somewhere that they are the fastest colour changing cichlid. But don't quote me on it. :)

Also, if you want to "trick" them into thinking it's time to breed (I have successfully done this) turn down the heater (76 for me) and leave it there for a couple days. Then, do a water change and slowly pour in warmer water (I heated mine to 80) and then spike the heater back to normal. (80)

I've read somewhere that you can also use colder water but this method always works for me. This method makes them think that it is raining, therefore the season has changed and it is time to breed.

Also, if you plan on breeding as a hobby you should go with at least a 1M/2F ratio as it will even out the aggression. I personally buy 1M/4F cichlid breeding colonies.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom