Button Polyps contain Fatal Toxins with no cure ?!?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OceanMist

Aquarium Advice Freak
I really want to buy some button polyps for my aquarium, they are nice to look at and i've heard they spread like crazy ... then I read this info on this site:

http://www.fishtanksandponds.net/live-stock/marine-inverts/zoanthids.htm

"Zoanthids contain highly toxin called palytoxin. Extreme care needs to be taken when handling these deadly creatures. Palytoxin is fatal, even in small quantities, if ingested or gets into your blood stream and there is no known cure for it.
When propagating any type of Zoanthid, make sure you have a dedicated workstation and thoroughly clean all equipment used, especially if any of the polyps should break open. Do not let children or pets around Zoanthids, the water they have been kept in or anything they come in contact with."

is this really true and are they really all this dangerous !?!?

I've read that too. I have them and have not died yet. I don't drink my tank water and I wash my hands/arms after I do something in the tank.

I've yet to hear about anyone actually dying, but have heard a couple of people that have gotten a little sick (mild).

FWIW not ALL zoos/polyps contain palytoxin. Also, AFAIK, the chances of acquiring some that do are very slim. That being said it is always safe to assume the worst and handle them and any water they may have contaminated w/ caution. There was a story going around on the web about a guy who fragged some zoos in a tupperware bowl of SW. Unbeknownst to him, his dog then consumed some of the SW and consequently died.

No worries. I have never had a problem and I have lots of zoos. Just don't lick 'em!

This is true. Some people are more sensitive than others. I for one dont wear gloves when working with them but I dont work with them much nor do I work with them for prolonged time periods.

This should not scare anyone away from them but its good to know the 'worst case' possiblities so that you can respect the coral for what it could do.

I'm one of the sensitive ones. I get a rash when dealing with them. I now wear aquagloves while working in the tank. :?

If they are so poisonous to human... then the buttons and Zoo must be deadly to fishes when they start to die and decay??

The way mine grow, I can just lift the rock up a bit as they strat growing over the sand. Normally I can just sort of tear them off and glue them if needed. I need to find some thin rubber gloves but I currently don't have any.

It is a bit un-nerving but cutting up corals to frag them is sort of gruesome sometimes anyway.

Fluff said:
I'm one of the sensitive ones. I get a rash when dealing with them. I now wear aquagloves while working in the tank. :?

me too

Back
Top Bottom