buying from LFS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like the local fish store around here they have good gear and if factored in shipping and waiting are cheaper, alot of times they are straight cheaper, even then some American websites I've looked at and checked out shipping, I figured their shipping would be as cheap as canadas when in Canada but they take it hard down there even if your address is close to the outlet, saw one that was 20 shipping for like a 2 pound foot long package, here it's 7 bucks lol, even with cheap or free shipping still can't barely beat the lfs. I find the nets good for hard to find things that you dont want to custom order thru the lfs, just my experience though. Plus it's cool to know lfs owners because they know your name and stock special items for ya or call when they get new items and shipments

I usually stick to my LFS because it's the warehouse of an online store (lucky, I think so). So I get online prices minus the shipping fee! Not to mention the crazy selection of fish and live plants at rock bottom prices. I bought 2 pictus there for 14 bucks, while they were 16 a fish at Petland. Also, he brings in xtreme cichlid food which I can't get anywhere else in my city. :) so yes, LFS FTW

pictuslover23 said:
I usually stick to my LFS because it's the warehouse of an online store (lucky, I think so). So I get online prices minus the shipping fee! Not to mention the crazy selection of fish and live plants at rock bottom prices. I bought 2 pictus there for 14 bucks, while they were 16 a fish at Petland. Also, he brings in xtreme cichlid food which I can't get anywhere else in my city. :) so yes, LFS FTW

That's just no fare warehouse access lol I'd be mortgaging my house to buy more :p

What I need to do is go on a road trip, either to Des Moines or Minnasota....and leave my credit card at home! Lol I do like Wet Pets but I haven't been there in at least 6 years or maybe more. Maybe it is a blessing there isn't a super great LFS near me... :)

My "mom and pop" lfs' around here are bad. They have little to no selection and are priced a lot more than the chain stores. As much as I like buying "local" they really do not make it worthwhile. That being said, if it costs a couple bucks more to get equipment at a chain than it does online, I weigh my options and consider how long I can wait until something ships. I don't mind paying a little extra for something that I need asap, it's when I have to pay a lot more for something that I can get online and have by the end of the week that I will just get it online. There's a difference between being cheap and stupid

Unfortunately I don't have any truly "local" fish stores in my area except for Petco and Petsmart - so I usually go there for most routine and "standard" equipment (test kits, Prime, Airline supplies, etc.)

But when I look at livestock and specialty supplies - I make a 45-minute drive to my own personal Shangri-la of Aquarium Stores:

Aquarium Supplies, Pet Supplies and Pond Supplies by That Fish Place - That Pet Place

I believe it's one of the largest and most well-operated pet stores I think I've ever seen. Their fish room alone is the size of most PetCos, and is manned by a small army of people who are solely devoted to fish.

:D

Unfortunately I don't have any truly "local" fish stores in my area except for Petco and Petsmart - so I usually go there for most routine and "standard" equipment (test kits, Prime, Airline supplies, etc.)

But when I look at livestock and specialty supplies - I make a 45-minute drive to my own personal Shangri-la of Aquarium Stores:

Aquarium Supplies, Pet Supplies and Pond Supplies by That Fish Place - That Pet Place

I believe it's one of the largest and most well-operated pet stores I think I've ever seen. Their fish room alone is the size of most PetCos, and is manned by a small army of people who are solely devoted to fish.

**Lucky**

Our aquarium only store went out of business..but just looking at petco and petsmart VS online..I dont see paying the FLAT OUT MARKUP on some of this stuff..This stuff gets expensive quick..a 10 gal turned into a 20 into a 38 into a 55...Now its a 55 waiting to be drilled for a 20 gallon sump.. and a 38 successfully running with a 10 gallon 4 chamber sump..the Fluval 205 I use to pump water out of the sump into my overflow tank... and the HOB filters in my 38.. the media for those as well as my Filstar in my 55 two tanks later and Aquariums are EXPENSIVE..I am just wising up to ONLINE vs big box pet store...I say Ebay and Amazon are best friends for this game

I try to support my lfs when possible. I have 1 lfs and a PetCo here. The lfs usually sells the fish for more money and does not have any sort of guarantee of survival. However, they carry much healthier stock than petco does. I am afraid of ordering online. Not sure why...

I always support my LFS when possible. The man that works there is extremely nice and now knows me. So now I get plenty of free stuff every time I go. If he doesn't have something I need/want, then I will resort to buying online.

Our aquarium only store went out of business..but just looking at petco and petsmart VS online..I dont see paying the FLAT OUT MARKUP on some of this stuff..This stuff gets expensive quick..a 10 gal turned into a 20 into a 38 into a 55...Now its a 55 waiting to be drilled for a 20 gallon sump.. and a 38 successfully running with a 10 gallon 4 chamber sump..the Fluval 205 I use to pump water out of the sump into my overflow tank... and the HOB filters in my 38.. the media for those as well as my Filstar in my 55 two tanks later and Aquariums are EXPENSIVE..I am just wising up to ONLINE vs big box pet store...I say Ebay and Amazon are best friends for this game

Some of what Amazon and eBay sell are from Petco and Petsmart, but cheaper.
At least the decorations are. Amazon sells a lot of the same stuff as other online stores too. They have a few other things, but if you look around online, other store have what Amazon does but the shipping is more than it is with Amazon (mostly), Amazon is generally quicker too, IMO. They do so much more bulk of everything that they can afford ship cheaper.

I actually have a really good LFS relatively close by. Reasonable prices, and they're knowledgable.
I do occasionally buy some stuff from petco, but I won't mess with their live stock after some bad experiences with it, and why should I when the LFS is competitive with price and knows what they're talking about.

I'm pretty new to this but, I just don't feel comfortable buying livestock online. It has been very hot here lately and I don't trust the various shipping companies to get things here in a timely manner and in good condition. The shape some of my purchases have shown up in make me very wary of buying livestock online.

I'd probably do plants online if I felt I was going to get a good deal. The main thing is I like being able to go to the LFS, see what I want, and take it home.

Now that I have seen that prime is cheaper online I will definitely buy that online. Super expensive in the stores here.

I support mine, but it's That Fish Place. So it has great prices all the time!! :)

Same here! Best part is I live 15 min away. Needless to say, I have it made as far as convenience is concerned. :D

Since they've changed to That Pet Place, it has gone downhill. People there aren't as knowledgeable and will tell you anything to make a sale. To be fair there is still a couple people who know what they're talking about as far as aquatics go. They still have the best selection though. And 1,000's of fish. Literally. If you're ever near southern PA I recommend stopping in. You'll be amazed.

I agree except for the small army part. When do you go?

Every time I've been in lately (weeknights) it is just a bunch of younger people who obviously don't own tanks. They don't even ask you questions when buying fish. Like how big is your tank, how long has it been established, what do you have in it? They have no problems selling me 2 schooling fish, which wouldn't be bad if they asked if I was completing a school. Which I was.

*To add to the discussion. :ermm: I think the only plus that stores have over online is the fact that you can physically touch the product you are buying. Also, there is no wait time. If I want "insert product here" I can have it tonight, not in a couple days. Being able to talk to "experts" is a nice touch too, only when they really are "experts"

I buy nearly everything online. Sometimes I will get a fish from the LFS if it's just a few, but its always cheaper online. I don't really feel an obligation to keep the LFS going, I know they have overhead and stuff, but they have to find a way to compete with the big box and online options. Adapt or go extinct.
working for a lfs we qt everything before it sells plus are you looking at your shipping and wait time for your products? and yeah overhead price of store employees filters heater and light operation.

so nothing online all from lfs (work)

Even with shipping costs it's almost always cheaper for me to buy online. I ship a lot of fish and inverts so I know how much it actually costs to ship this stuff, and it's not much. I refuse to pay ridiculous shipping prices that some people put on their stuff (AB is notorious for this).

Then again, I don't keep many common fish, so if a LFS does have the stuff I'm after then it's really pricey.

Wait time is a nonissue for me, especially if I'm saving a substantial amount of money, it's only a few days to a week at the most. It really comes down to cost, if I can buy 6 corydoras panda for $30 shipped vs 7.99 each at the LFS, then you can bet I'm getting them online.

Patience is not just a virtue in fishkeeping, it's a requirement.

Even with shipping costs it's almost always cheaper for me to buy online. I ship a lot of fish and inverts so I know how much it actually costs to ship this stuff, and it's not much. I refuse to pay ridiculous shipping prices that some people put on their stuff (AB is notorious for this).

Then again, I don't keep many common fish, so if a LFS does have the stuff I'm after then it's really pricey.

Wait time is a nonissue for me, especially if I'm saving a substantial amount of money, it's only a few days to a week at the most. It really comes down to cost, if I can buy 6 corydoras panda for $30 shipped vs 7.99 each at the LFS, then you can bet I'm getting them online.

Patience is not just a virtue in fishkeeping, it's a requirement.

when your shipping 30+ boxes a week that weigh 20-30lbs a piece shipping is alot.

Back
Top Bottom