Buying Used Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dwencel24

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi Everyone,

Some of you might be aware that I am planning to upgrade my aquarium. I was originally looking for new set up - a tank with stand - from LFS. I was also originally looking for 75G. I decided later to see if I can find good deals in Craigslist because they usually sell aquarium set - a tank, stand, and other equipment. Unfortunately, I could not find a 75G around my area during a long period of time. However, I found a 125G set. It has good stand (made of real wood), comes with other equipment and may come with the fishes.

I am already set to buy this tank. I love it (just by seeing the pics). In fact, I already contacted the seller. However, I still have some doubts about purchasing it. My first concern is the quality. The seller told me that it has no major or minor problems. In addition, it is still running with fish in it. But with my life experiences, you can't really take someone words and completely give your trust. My second concern is the price. It was originally priced for $650. I was able to convince the seller to drop the price down, and now at $575. Although that was the case, $575 is still a large amount of money. I honestly don't have much money and will have to ask around to get this. So, I am still having thoughts of not doing this purchase.

By the way, here is the link to the aquarium set: https://sacramento.craigslist.org/for/d/125-gallon-complete-aquarium/6270353565.html

I will appreciate any thought, comment or suggestion.

Tricky one! I can't really comment on price. I've always thought that if you plan to be in the hobby for some time and like larger tanks, go for as large as you can get. Even if everything else is not great, you can always upgrade later but upgrading a major purchase like that is harder to do.

If you like several tanks of different fish or funds are going to be tight - skip it. A 6 gallon betta tank is still fun to watch imo and a lot cheaper.

With the wood, check for any swelling, wonkiness, repaired damage. Check on age, how often moved, etc. I assume tank has been seen full of water. On the photo I thought it looked nice.

$575 might be a good deal if the tank is a quality name brand, comes with quality filters and lighting. The fact it's up and running gives you a chance to inspect the tank for chips, cracks and leaks. If you do go and check it out be sure to look for mineral deposits on the corner joints of the glass. That Indicates seepage, and a possible reseal need. Look at the surrounding floor for water damage.
I was recently at Petsmart and saw a 125, stand and lights for $625. That one has a warranty.
Last November (Black Friday) Petsmart was selling 125 gal. Packages for $300.
Unless the noted used tank is something special, might wait a few weeks and offer a couple of hundred bucks less. Good luck.

Just viewed your craigslist Link. One filter looked to be an A.C. 110, new $100. I didn't recognize the canister filter make but it's got to be worth $100. Probably $60 worth of gravel.
Just basic lighting for a tank that size $100. I can't determine the wood type or judge the quality, but a solid wood stand and canopy in my area would be $500 - $700 new. The tank itself, $300 - $400 new. You can do the math.

That stand has no bottom which is interesting.

The canister is a Filstar XP. If the condition of both the tank and the stand are good that seems like a reasonable price to me. Canopies are silly expensive.

You would have to see it in person. It also looks like there is a water stain 2" up the side of the stand which sucks for the previous owner.

Thanks everyone. I have taken every comments and suggestions into account. I decided to not purchase the set. It seems really tempting. But there could be some caveat. I do remember the seller telling me that the canister is at least $400 and, as mentioned, no major or minor damage. These seem fishy to me (either the owner does not know much about the aquarium or just simply lying). The fact that you guys saw some weird things about the aquarium strengthen my decision. In addition, I do remember the seller telling me that the aquarium set is about 10 years old.

This decision also comes with the fact that I don't have that amount of money at hand (need to borrow). So, I decided to go LFS's. I do remember seeing a 75G set for $399 (tank, stand, glass top, LED light, and filter - all Aqueon brand). I am not 100% sure if the stand is real wood or mixed. I just thought that the one in Craigslist is better deal.

Geez, I wish I could get fish tanks on the plane. Just about be cheaper take a holiday from Australia. Sounds a good decision though just our prices and everything are so different here.

Back
Top Bottom