Buying very young fish.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snowfire

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've been on the lookout for some diamond tetras for my new(ish) 90g set up. I was in pets @ home today and saw that they had some but they were very small, they were basically large fry! You could just about make out that they were diamonds. They were quite expensive at 3.45 each (3for £9) a lot more than the other tetras they had on sale.
I'm wondering if it's a good idea to buy such young fish? Would it be worth trying to cut a deal & get them cheaper due to their size or should I just wait until the good lfs gets some in stock?

Snowfire said:
I've been on the lookout for some diamond tetras for my new(ish) 90g set up. I was in pets @ home today and saw that they had some but they were very small, they were basically large fry! You could just about make out that they were diamonds. They were quite expensive at 3.45 each (3for £9) a lot more than the other tetras they had on sale.
I'm wondering if it's a good idea to buy such young fish? Would it be worth trying to cut a deal & get them cheaper due to their size or should I just wait until the good lfs gets some in stock?

That's such a fantastic question and Im eager to hear more ideas on this. In my research, I have heard that for some fish like gouramis, you want to get them young. Or other fish like neons, you want to get then large. I have no idea why they say to get large versus young neons, but I'm just telling you what I've heard ;)

I personally quite like buying young(ish) fish and watching them grow! I would say that if they seem to be in good health etc, then why not! I have one LFS that sells older stock and one that sells younger stock and I like having the younger stock. Just my opinion, don't know if there is a bad thing about buying young fish , but I have had a fair few tiny fish before with no problems

I guess it would be nice to see them grow though would it be better to keep them separate for a while to feed them up with cyclops & crushed flake so that they can hold their own in the big tank?

Back
Top Bottom