c&c for stocking 29g Asian community Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hidoi

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi

I am in the process of planning an Asian community tank, which will be my first tank ever. The tank I am most likely going to be using is a "JUWEL RIO 125".

The stocking list I have in mind is:
1 Gourami (as a centerpiece) - either a Honey Gourami or a Dwarf Gourami

Middle
8 Celestial Pearl 'Danio' (Galaxy Rasbora)
8 Golden Barb

Bottom
6 'Kuhli' Loach
10 Caridina cantonensis, sp. Crystal red

----------------------

Now to the questions.
- Is this tank overstocked? (according to Aqadvisor it's at 83%)
If yes, would it be solved by bringing down the two schools to 6 a piece or to swap the golden barbs for a smaller barb? Like a cherry barb.

- Regarding the Celestial Pearl 'Danios', are these suitable for a beginner?
Are they suited to live with the tankmates on the list?
(it says on seriouslyfish.com that they are "Likely to be intimidated or outcompeted for food by larger or more boisterous tankmates") and since they are the smallest fish on the tank will this be a problem?
It also says that the ideal number would be 20, which might also cause a broblem. I love the way they look but I am thinking that replacing them with something else might be the best thing to do here, unless you guys can quench my fears. - The replacement would probably be Harlequin Rasbora.

- The same thing for the shrimp, it says that they are intermediate. Would it be better to swap these for "Red Cherry shrimp" instead. I really love the way the Crystal red shrimp look, but as a beginner I want to be able to take of them properly.

Also is there a cool Asian carpet plant for the foreground that requires no Co2 system or a lot of light.

Thanks in advance.
Hidoi

I would start with cherry shrimp unless you know your water is soft enough for crystals

I would not do a barb with cpd’s. They will out compete them more than likely. A big school of a small fish is sweet to see

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I have since done some more reading and have decided on the following list:
1 Honey Gourami or 1 Dwarf Gourami

Middle
12 Espei Rasbora
6 Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish

Bottom
6 'Kuhli' Loach
10 Caridina cantonensis, sp. Crystal red

Do you guys think the filter that is included in the tank (the tank I chose is 33 gallons) is enough, or would I need a secondary filter?

Filter specs:

Product Bioflow Filter M – Filter System
Filter Volume 3,5 Litres (~0,9 gallons)
Filter Media Poly Pad, Carbon Sponge, Nitrax M, Sponge Fine M
incl. Pump
Product Pump Juwel ECCOFLOW 600 l/h (~158 gallons/hour) Int.
Pump Power l/h 600 l/h (~158 gallons/hour)
Energy Consumption W 7 Watt

Back
Top Bottom