Ca and mg suppliments

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Karlos69

Aquarium Advice Freak
Should i be supplimenting my ca and mg levels for favia/frogspawn/xenia/zoas and coraline growth? And if so what do you use?
Dkh-8
Ca-380
Mg1200
Salinity 24
Ph 8.2

the cheapest and just as good as anything else are BRS (bulk reef supply). they have just what you need.
you don't need calcium for xenia and zoas, but everything else uses calcium and alk.

if you are using or have low mag, you should raise it/add it, but i think a decent reef grade salt mix should take care of it. even when my system was using calcium and alk daily, i didn't have to add much mag. only when i have a bryopsis issue did i raise my mag up to 1700 for a time.

So going with the kalk should raise my ph,alk and calcium while lowering my co2 levels is that right what i was reading? And i wont worry bout my mg then.

not that i know of. kalkwasser keeps levels stable more than raising them. to raise levels, you will need to use a 2 (or three) part additive.

test for everything. every system is different and i've heard of many situations where the same dosing regimen yielded completely different results.
just a FYI-
i have kept tanks full of corals for years without any dosing....just regular water changes. if you are seeing a drastic imbalance and are definitely in need of supplemental ca, alk, and mag, i would suggest setting up dosing pumps and containers. it's pretty easy to do and you can put them on timers so that you can't over dose.

More than anything im getting big ph swings 7.8 for 3-4 days then stabalizes at 8.2 for a couple days then drops again back to 7.8. I always know my ph is getting low when my blue legged hermit becomes dormant all day if ph is 8.2 hes moving throughout the day. Thought if maybe i get alk and ca levels up my ph would stabilize. Its weird i test my pwc water and its perfect 8.2 then add 2 gal to tank and still get fluctuations doing weekly 20% pwcs with still dramatic swings any idea what i should do with ca 380 and alk 8 i can get a dosing pump u think it will help .?

Okay did all tests again
Ph is 7.7
Alk. 7
Ca is 380
Mg is 1080 now
Nitrate 2
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0
Temp 76
Salinity 25

So my ph is even lower now ( first thing in morning) my little crab hasnt moved since last night :(

is the water surface turning over and suppling oxygen? I run my Alk about 10-12dkh, Calcium 440-480, and Mg 1320-1440. Mg should be 3x what your calcium is. temp 80

Ya i have a maxijet 900 so 245gph directed at surface im thinkin changing salts then buy dosing if i need just want the best salt any recomendations?

Salt is something you have to try yourself and find one that fits your tank. I started using Reef Crystals when i changed from a FOWLR to a reef. Didnt like it, tried Seachem Reef Salt liked it but wanted to try Red Sea Coral Pro and thats all I have ever used since. I have heard good things about Tropic Marin Pro, but have not tried it. I will stay with Red Sea Coral Pro they have just reformulated it, I am on my first bucket and so far it dissolves better. I mix in a 20g Rubbermaid trash can with a powerhead, heater and an airstone. I always use RO/DI water

Ya same way i mix so when u test your water after a pwc u find your in good ranges for everything using red sea or do you still dose after?

my calcium is always between 420-440, Alk is usually around 10-12, and Mag is 1320 I only dose cause I like them a little higher.

Back
Top Bottom