Cabomba - is it as messy as I think it is?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CPryor

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 10 gallon with two of these bulbs ( Aqueon® Mini Compact 50/50 Fluorescent Lamp - Lighting & Hoods - Fish - PetSmart ) in my tank. I'm in the process of cycling for my boyfriends son. He wants live plants and liked the Cabomba we sell at PetSmart, but.... I'm wondering if anyone has grown it in a low-tech setup? I only have gravel substrate and I have API leaf zone I use in another tank.

Since I'm cycling, I don't want to add a plant that's going to melt and send my water quality out of control. Also, they shed terribly at PetSmart....but we keep them in a very cold tank in tight bundles. Do they shed as much when they're separated and in warm water, or is that just the nature of the beast?

What lighting fixture and bulb are you using? I don't have issues with my Cabomba's shedding at all BUT I use a liquid carbon daily which I've found Cabomba's like. You also need to plant each stem individually with the leaves of each stem almost touching the leaves of the stems planted around them.

I posted a link to the bulbs i'm using: Aqueon® Mini Compact 50/50 Fluorescent Lamp. I have two in my aquarium though, and I'm wondering....is that overkill?! Dr. Fosters and Smith's website says: "Each 10W compact fluorescent bulb shines as bright as a 50W incandescent"

0_o

I wouldn't say those are overkill but I would suggest using a liquid carbon daily. You can get a gallon of Metricide 14 Day Solution for around $20 online. It's twice the strength of Excel so even dosing at 1ml of liquid carbon to every 2 gallons of tank water (1/2 ml of Metricide 14 to every 2 gallons if used full strength from the bottle) it's very economiical to use. You also need to use at least some ferts weekly and plant stems properly.

I just bought some Cabomba off LiveAquaria.com last week and planted it on last Monday, the 10th. I already had to trim it, it took off like a rocket...literally. When I got them, they were about 5" tall and some of the stems have doubled in size already. It didn't even go though an "adjustment phase". I was shocked it took in my tank because I have tried the Anacharis plant which is pretty similar in appearance and is suppose to be "easy" but it kept dieing on me :(.

For me, the initial planting was pretty messy but after that, I haven't seen any leafs floating around. I have been having more issues with the dwarf hair grass I bought, its all over the place.

Hey Rivercats, what is the best way to propagate/trim this plant? If I cut it off at the top and leave the stem planted, will it grow side shoots?

IMAG0350[1].jpg

i'm following on this. I am curious about cabomba and want to try gowing it. its always a default plastic plant for me to hide things and one of my favorite live ones to see.

I have Camboba in three of my tanks and really like it. I planted it like RiverCats said and it has taken off. I have had no shedding. I trim it when it reaches the top of the water and I have had no problems with it. I have not had it grow side shoots. The stems I trim just grow new tops which is unusual. The other plants I trim always grow side shoots. I use diy CO2. I was using Metricide but ran out. The Camboba is still growing nicely. It has done better in the tanks with higher light and CO2 but it also grew in a 20 long I have been using to store extra cuttings. It had no heater or CO2 until a week ago. I was using a T8 plant light and it was growing fine. Got a little leggy with more space between the leaves but still looks nice.

I have Camboba in three of my tanks and really like it. I planted it like RiverCats said and it has taken off. I have had no shedding. I trim it when it reaches the top of the water and I have had no problems with it. I have not had it grow side shoots. The stems I trim just grow new tops which is unusual. The other plants I trim always grow side shoots. I use diy CO2. I was using Metricide but ran out. The Camboba is still growing nicely. It has done better in the tanks with higher light and CO2 but it also grew in a 20 long I have been using to store extra cuttings. It had no heater or CO2 until a week ago. I was using a T8 plant light and it was growing fine. Got a little leggy with more space between the leaves but still looks nice.

Ya, that is strange in deed. I thought it would give me side shoots. Well, I just cut the top off one stem last night so hopefully mine grows the same as yours!

I have Camboba in a 15 gallon tetra tank that was part of a kit, so it only has the click in LEDs. I have a gravel substrate, don't use CO2 and don't use ferts. It's growing very well.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I normally trim off the stems to the height I want or a bit lower and let them regrow from shoots. I replant tops if needed and every so often I pull up all the plants, cut the tops off, and replant them.

Back
Top Bottom