CAE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trainer_Ruby_

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've had some experience with Chinese algae eaters when I first started out keeping fish when I only had a 10g and he got aggressive relatively quick. I realize my tank was massively overstocked and I've fixed that problem. Would the overcrowding be part of the reason he got so aggressive? I know they get that way once they're older but recently I've been having algae problems and I know these guys tear through algae like its nothing and wanted to get some more. I'm planning on keeping one in my 10g and one in my 20g until they clean it up then I'll move them to a 55g tank. There's only going to be 2 cae

Keep calm and drum on

These fish are imho, not good for a community tank. They are generally aggressive and then also they like to suck on the other fish to eat the slime coat I guess and will injure and kill fish.

Algae issues are often something that needs other fixes.

Often it is lighting and phosphates from food, especially flaked food. (I use Hikari brand food most often for general feeding). Also You could be over feeding.

Up your pwc frequency and amounts Help keep the water cleaner can help.

As for lighting I do a siesta period light on 4-6 hours and then off for a couple hours and then on again 4-6 hours (or less if need be I have pretty low light) when you get home from work lets say.

You can use a timer to make it easier.

Possible old light bulbs too???

I would absolutely not use a CAE look into a SAE - Siamese Algae Eater - there are several kinds of fish that look similar so make sure what is really is, research the differences in pattern.

SAE's, or some shops call them ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1437967524.778606.jpgflying foxes, eat many types of algae, even BBA.
They look like this
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1437967463.397839.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

60074-albums11380-picture52589.jpg

These are SAE. Note the pale yellow dorsal fin (not always), the black edging in the scales and the black line going into and through the end of the tail and bluish gill patch. This is a mature pair of fish 6" and almost 7".

Flying Fox name is associated with this as the same fish which it is not. Pretty confusing really. Had me confounded when I was trying to ID mine when I first got them!

Flying Fox (Epalzeorhynchos kalopterus)

Siamese algae eater (Crossocheilus oblongus)

and the false flying fox (Garra cambodgiensis)

All I know is that the type I have eat BBA and other types of nuisance algae, that's all that matters to me:). My lfs owners call mine flying foxes.

60074-albums11380-picture52589.jpg

These are SAE. Note the pale yellow dorsal fin (not always), the black edging in the scales and the black line going into and through the end of the tail and bluish gill patch. This is a mature pair of fish 6" and almost 7".

Flying Fox name is associated with this as the same fish which it is not. Pretty confusing really. Had me confounded when I was trying to ID mine when I first got them!

Flying Fox (Epalzeorhynchos kalopterus)

Siamese algae eater (Crossocheilus oblongus)

and the false flying fox (Garra cambodgiensis)

I don't have a good pic of the tails on mine, but the black stripe goes all the way to the tip. They very similar to the ones in your pics. The ones in my post are young and only about 3 inches. I have an older one that is 4 inches.

Back
Top Bottom