Caitlynn's 75 gallon reef build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think a 10g would work, a 29g would be even better. :) You just need a basic filter for a QT, nothing special.

+1 for convincing :)

quarantining is the unsexy not-much-mentioned aspect of this hobby.. until things go wrong.

Just get a cheapy HOB filter that has a sponge or some filter floss in it. Take the carbon out.

Ok so my next thing cuz the only place I can think to keep it is in my living room. Could I keep sand in there and maybe a starfish? Id be willing to put a lil more into it if it wasn't so ugly just sitting there lol!

Wouldn't put a substrate or inverts in it. If you have to medicate it could kill the inverts and the meds might never wash out of the sand completely.

scottayy said:
Wouldn't put a substrate or inverts in it. If you have to medicate it could kill the inverts and the meds might never wash out of the sand completely.
Is there a way to take them out just if I need to medicate and then maybe move the sand. I know I won't be able to just have an empty tank running so I was trying to get around it. Could I just put a few pieces on live rock in there and move them
If I need to medicate?

Well I'm sure you could. But whatever's in there your biological filter is going to grow on. Move it and you'll have to recycle. You could keep a few small danios in there to have some movement and keep the tank cycled.

scottayy said:
Well I'm sure you could. But whatever's in there your biological filter is going to grow on. Move it and you'll have to recycle. You could keep a few small danios in there to have some movement and keep the tank cycled.

Maybe just a few fake plants maybe? Leave them in there. And danios? What about a damsel? They are so much prettier! Lol

I'm still on the fence about a QT but I'll just have to see what happens. I'm gonna get my tank set up first.

You could always just store the tank somewhere. Fill it up with summer clothes or something. Have a sponge filter run in your sump and the other misc item ready, then when/if you need your QT you can set it up with water, the small sponge filter and everything.

FW danios aren't going to cycle a marine QT tank. ;)

I'd buy a small hang on filter and run it on your sump. When you need it for QT, pull it off the sump and put it on a bare bottom QT with PVC for hiding spots. You won't want to use substrate or live rock because you'll nuke them anyway if you have to medicate anything. When you're done with the QT, you can tear it down. Just toss the media from the hang on filter, clean it, and replace with new media before you put it back on the sump. That's what I would do anyway.

severum mama said:
FW danios aren't going to cycle a marine QT tank. ;)

I'd buy a small hang on filter and run it on your sump. When you need it for QT, pull it off the sump and put it on a bare bottom QT with PVC for hiding spots. You won't want to use substrate or live rock because you'll nuke them anyway if you have to medicate anything. When you're done with the QT, you can tear it down. Just toss the media from the hang on filter, clean it, and replace with new media before you put it back on the sump. That's what I would do anyway.

Now that I can do! Would a terra wispsr for a 20 gallon be good enough? I know it's an inter but I have one I was going to toss. If not I can buy a cheap one no biggie. And just set up the tank when I need it. Do I need a heater for the QT?
Haha all my clothes are summer clothes living in Florida but I get what your saying.

I was also wondering could I keep a kole tang and a bristle tooth tang in my 75?

So I'm going to do the QT that I just put up when I need it. With an HOB filter on my sump. And now my tank will be safe! Now my question should I do a 10 gallon or a 15 tall?

caitlynnanne9189 said:
So I'm going to do the QT that I just put up when I need it. With an HOB filter on my sump. And now my tank will be safe! Now my question should I do a 10 gallon or a 15 tall?

Larger the better so 15g tall

redsea said:
Yep, I believe that they are the same length, so I would go with the 15g tall too. :)

They are the same length that's why I went with the two sizes! Ok so 15 it is! Thanks!

Hey can anyone find a brute 64 food grade and post a link? I'm trying to get a price idea and I can't find one any where!! I've been googling everything I can think of!

Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom