Caitlynn's 75 gallon reef build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yay! Receiver my new hinges today for the stand. I ordered stainless steel ones because the ones that were on there already were rusted out. It's officially ready! :D

I have the vinegar soaked paper towels sitting on overflow in hopes to get the nasty stuff off!

Lights and protein skimmer have shipped and are on the way!

As soon as the bulk buy starts I'll have the RODI and the Refractometer. Along with epoxy and silicone.

Oh and I ordered my brute and lid from Walmart. The lid is there waiting on the brute.

EDIT
I'm also thinking of skipping the rock and getting my power heads and return pump? What do you think? The guy won't go below $2 a pound and it's just gonna sit here till I can get the power heads and return pump. Reef rocks will be cheaper than him..

Attachments

• image-317316920.jpg
    image-317316920.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 55
  • image-3519662363.jpg
    image-3519662363.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 47
Sounds like everything is going good! Order the sand now so it may ship today then you'll get it sooner around the time you get your rocks and lights.

Ibrahim said:
Sounds like everything is going good! Order the sand now so it may ship today then you'll get it sooner around the time you get your rocks and lights.

I wish I could! That will probably be my first paycheck deduction after bills next Friday.

Read my edit about my rock and tell me what you think if you don't mind!

caitlynnanne9189 said:
I wish I could! That will probably be my first paycheck deduction after bills next Friday.

Read my edit about my rock and tell me what you think if you don't mind!

I know how you can get both the powerheads and rock for under $200. Order 100lbs from reefrocks.net and search 1300gph wavemaker on Ebay. You can get 2 for $25 and they work great. Quality is awesome too. I've got 2 on my FOWLR and had 2 on my 25g and I couldn't complain since they were silent. I'm so sure you'll love them that of you don't like them after you use it, I'll buy it off of you since I need more flow anyway.

Ibrahim said:
I know how you can get both the powerheads and rock for under $200. Order 100lbs from reefrocks.net and search 1300gph wavemaker on Ebay. You can get 2 for $25 and they work great. Quality is awesome too. I've got 2 on my FOWLR and had 2 on my 25g and I couldn't complain since they were silent. I'm so sure you'll love them that of you don't like them after you use it, I'll buy it off of you since I need more flow anyway.

Wow! Ok! I'll look into those!

Well the vinegar worked great! No more yucky stuff! Yay :) now it just needs cleaning. Idk how to get the water out once I clean it.

Got my protein skimmer! No idea how to put it together but I got it lol!

Attachments

• image-3854878987.jpg
    image-3854878987.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 69
Well I think I got it but idk what to do with this last tube!

EDIT:

Uh oh! I think I'm gonna have to order a smaller one! It barely sits inside the stand and it all the way to the top so I'll never be able to get the cup off, and of its inside the sump I don't think it will fit at all!

Attachments

• image-512594647.jpg
    image-512594647.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 75
The other tube attaches at the 90 degree fitting coming from the bottom of the cup. It is used to drain the cup into a bucket or what have you.

TLTGF said:
The other tube attaches at the 90 degree fitting coming from the bottom of the cup. It is used to drain the cup into a bucket or what have you.

Ah got you! Well looks like I need to try to sell this because it dosnt fit under my tank! Stupid mistake not checking dimensions first! I checked the other one but at the last minute I decided to get this one and didn't look at the dimensions! My own fault!

If you use the drain hose on the cup, you dont have to take the cup off, right? You can have it drain into an empty coffee can or something?

spoonman said:
If you use the drain hose on the cup, you dont have to take the cup off, right? You can have it drain into an empty coffee can or something?

Is this correct? Can anyone confirm? Idk if it will fit even that way because the thing literally come to the top of my stand with our the sump and idk I'll have to just try it if this is the case and that will work!

You will still have to remove the cup every week or so to wash it out. Can you tilt the skimmer sideways after you've emptied the cup to remove it? If so, it can be done.

I would not let it drain whenever into an external container. I would take out the stopper and empty it manually. The reason is, if something goes foul inside the tank, and the skimmer starts going nuts, it will empty the tank, or at least the sump onto your floor.

mr_X said:
I would not let it drain whenever into an external container. I would take out the stopper and empty it manually. The reason is, if something goes foul inside the tank, and the skimmer starts going nuts, it will empty the tank, or at least the sump onto your floor.

That's makes sense and I don't want to happen! I don't even think I could tilt it because it literally is to the brim on the stand like its iffy it will even fit without the sump do I doubt it! I can't return it either so I'm screwed! It's my own fault. I put it on CL and got a buyer today but then they just backed out. If anyone needs it please let me know!!!

What about cutting out the bottom of the stand and sitting the sump on the floor underneath? That should give you a few inches.

Back
Top Bottom