Caitlynn's 75 gallon reef build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So the bottom one would be good for what I need and fit I side my sump? I'm doing the 20 long like you suggested just trying to find the tank. I've asked around. If that's the right thing then I know what to save up for next! :D
Yes, that skimmer is plenty good for your system. Just measure the inside of the stand and make sure you have room for it. You will have to remove the collection cup for cleaning every week or so.

I forgot to ask last post, how tall is the stand? lol That will help dictate if you have any issues with a normal skimmer cause they are usually pretty tall. And while youre measuring you might wanna note the length and how far it is back to front so you can fit an appropriate sump underneath.

True, BUT depending on the crafting of the stand it could have less room underneath than the size would make you believe. For instance I couldnt fit a 20L in my stand on the 90g. He made the stand by hand and it is two sections underneath. It also has a shelf built in on the right. And also, on my 125g, it's 18 inches from back to front BUT I can barely fit the 14" wide sump in there.

Just wanted the OP to be prepared in case she has a funky stand. LOL

KAhner said:
I doubt that 32g is food grade.

It's not but it was just to fill my tank for the first time. It hasn't cracked yet and I'm just finishing aquascaping the tank then I'm going to transfer the water and then use it as a trashcan. The 64g is food grade though

Ibrahim said:
I got a 64g for $55 and a 32g for $12 Both came with lids and were bought at walmart

Ok so I should get the 64? It has to go outside on my patio no matter what so the 64 is fine with me. Do you think the water will be fine in the tank sitting in the heat outside?

carey said:
I paid $22 I think for lid and can at ace hardware. It's a 32g brute. :)

Since youre in an apt you might wanna think about a 20g or so. The biggest you can fit in the house. Whether it be a closet or alcove, theres gotta be somewhere you can fit a can.

As far as the ro/di you linked, well, if I had the money I would get it but the 5 stage deluxe should be fine. I am ordering one next week during the group buy at bulk reef supply, they will be $180 for that week for group buy members. I think they also discount some of their protein skimmers as well so if you have a bit of cash you might wanna check it out. :)

There's so much you have to get, lol, but you did get the biggest thing out of the way. haha... I would start getting the smaller things as well if you can, like a refractometer for salinity ($30 on ebay), water test kit (API liquid test is good), 2 powerheads, heater,lights, the SALT lol, stuff like that.

There are some really great deals to be had online if you just look real good. I shop alot at the following: Bulk Aquarium Supplies - Reef Aquarium Supplies | BulkReefSupply.com , Aquarium Pet Fish Supplies, Tank Accessories, Products & Equipment , Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums , Aquarium Supplies, Reef Aquarium Supplies, Aquarium Products, Fish Tank Supplies, Freshwater Aquarium, Marine Aquarium , Pet Supplies | Dog Supplies | Fish Supplies | Bird Supplies | PetSolutions .

the above are all top of the line in my book and each retailer will have some of what you need cheaper than the others will. To save the most $$ I usually buy a few things from each one and it has worked out really well for me. I don't hesitate to recommend them. There are some other places I've ordered from but the livestock or dry goods just werent up to snuff. haha

Think I wrote enough? Sorry for the long post just got on a roll!

As far as inside for the can I literally can't. I have carpet everywhere except the kitchen and I'm not kidding when I say after the tank there is not an inch left so its either the garage or the patio. Either place I can put as large of one that I want I think.

As far as the RODI goes I looked up the price difference and it's only a $50 dollar difference so I might as well get the one that's better for such a small difference.

I would LOVE to join the bulk buy thing but right now after the tank and stand I'm flat broke! No extra cash at all so I'm
Just trying to have everything picked out and know exactly what I want :D

As far as testing if the tank leaks or not I looked in my garage and I do have the room so I may try to get it set up to test it. I have to put it on the stand since the thing coming out the bottom but what do I do because it looks like the water would flow right out of that tube. I'm confused!! Lol sorry!!

Thanks do much for all the sites! I'm going to bookmark them!

mr_X said:
Yes, that skimmer is plenty good for your system. Just measure the inside of the stand and make sure you have room for it. You will have to remove the collection cup for cleaning every week or so.

I measured the stand and it's 47" long 16" deep and about 21" tall at the top of the door side so I'd want to go a few inches below that to take out the cup right?

carey said:
True, BUT depending on the crafting of the stand it could have less room underneath than the size would make you believe. For instance I couldnt fit a 20L in my stand on the 90g. He made the stand by hand and it is two sections underneath. It also has a shelf built in on the right. And also, on my 125g, it's 18 inches from back to front BUT I can barely fit the 14" wide sump in there.

Just wanted the OP to be prepared in case she has a funky stand. LOL

Im very lucky! Nothing funny I side the stand wide open! And the ready even has a power strip put up inside the stand! Yay!

caitlynnanne9189 said:
Ok so I should get the 64? It has to go outside on my patio no matter what so the 64 is fine with me. Do you think the water will be fine in the tank sitting in the heat outside?

It's got wheels on it too. If you want to keep it outside I'd get something with more quality like a brute can

If you're in no hurry, just wait for another BRS group buy. We seem to do them about every 6 weeks.

I also read that your built in overflow confused you. The black wall is the overflow portion of the system. When in use, that won't be full of water, but water comes over the top from the main part of the tank to go down to your drain at the bottom of the tank and then to your sump beneath. As far as when you test to make sure you have no leaks, I'd try to get a PVC plug to verify that part is water tight.

The overflow might not be full, but if there is two holes I would run PVC to the highest possible point and use that for an emergency overflow and use a valve on the other one to get the the water level as high as possible. It's MUCH less noisy than having the water crashing all the way to the bottom.

You will need a standpipe. Google "durso standpipe". The smaller hole inside the overflow box is for a return, not a redundant drain. I can see from the pictures that it's already set up this way.

Rutrag said:
If you're in no hurry, just wait for another BRS group buy. We seem to do them about every 6 weeks.

I also read that your built in overflow confused you. The black wall is the overflow portion of the system. When in use, that won't be full of water, but water comes over the top from the main part of the tank to go down to your drain at the bottom of the tank and then to your sump beneath. As far as when you test to make sure you have no leaks, I'd try to get a PVC plug to verify that part is water tight.

A PVC plug? Is that something I can buy in like HD. Are they a standard size or do I need to measure the width of the hole?

Sorry for all the questions. This is my first DIY and I'm really excited but totally new.

And yeah I'm not in a huge hurry so I'll wait for the next bulk buy and then it will give me a chance to save up some money.
:D

mr_X said:
You will need a standpipe. Google "durso standpipe". The smaller hole inside the overflow box is for a return, not a redundant drain. I can see from the pictures that it's already set up this way.

I just got to work but after I'm going to try to take better pictures so maybe I can understand better. :/

Ibrahim said:
It's got wheels on it too. If you want to keep it outside I'd get something with more quality like a brute can

Yeah that's what I hoped to get but idk what size to get. Does the brute have options?

Yea you can get wheels for the brute. But there not very big, just like 3 inch casters. So it will be hard to push on carpet and over your door trim.

Back
Top Bottom