calcium question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

michealprater

Aquarium Advice Addict
I recently purchased some kalkwasser and it seems like kind of a pain to use. I dose with b-ionic alkalinity and calcium buffer, is it even nessasary to dose with kalkwasser? The kalkwasser has now did wonders on killing them stupid majano anenomes. There is only like four of them left.

That's great Micheal! Unfortunately, this morning, I found a whole colony of aptasia on the back of one of my rocks, so I'm going to give that a try.
Wish me luck!

kalk

AFAIK, as long as your calcium, alk, and pH are stable at the recommended values, you don't have to dose kalk. I don't use it and I know many others who don't. I also know many who do. I'm no expert by any means on SW, but I would think if the B-ionic has been keeping your readings within spec, that's all you need.
Logan J

Agreed with loganj. Kalk is one way to maintain Ca and alk, B-ionic is another. You don't need both. I have heard of dosing with kalk and using b-ionic to adjust Ca/alk as needed. For me, using kalk is not an issue. I supply my replenishing pump with a new 5 gallon container every few days so it's just a matter of tossing in a few tsps of kalk at the same time. If you have an automatic replenishing system, kalk is probably the way to go. If you don't, 2 part Ca/alk is the ticket.

Mark

Back
Top Bottom