calcium vs alkalinity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

douggiestyle

Aquarium Advice Freak
im not sure what the difference between a alkalinity test and a calcium test is?

should i use one over another?

think this is right but alkalinity usually refers to pH. One of the hard thing about reefs or saltwater tanks is maintaining pH levels, and high alk is good from what I hear. Calcium tests.. dunno about this.. just know its good for living things in your tank.. algae, reef, marine plants... etc

What type of tank do you have and are you currently dosing anything?

In short, alkalinity is a measure of the total carbonates in the water and is an indication of the waters ability to resist changes in ph. It is not an actual measure of ph, they are two different things. If you are maintaining alk and/or Ca, both should be monitored to maintain a proper balance. When one is altered it affects the other.

I would suggest reading the following, they may help you clear things up...

Calcium and Alkalinity by Randy Holmes-Farley
Calcium

Cheers
Steve

ive currently started dosing the tank to raise the calcium level which is low but my alkalinity level is high. this some what confuses me. i will read the article if i have a question i will stop back.

thanks steve

douggiestyle said:
this some what confuses me.
Test a freshly mixed batch of SW. That is most likely the cause. Adding calcium will fix the problem eventually. Just be sure not to increase the Ca to much per day and test prior to each addition.

Cheers
Steve

well no wonder i was having trouble grasping exactly what it is i am trying to do. i definately need to read over this some more. thanks again steve (i think)

doug

Through my own observations I have noticed that certain saltmixes do not have a proper alk/Ca balance went freshly mixed. I recently decided to try IO salts which was a mistake. After testing the mix, I got a reading of 4.5+ mEq/l alk and a 350- ppm Ca. If doing regular water changes, this will affect your tank's chemistry in time...

Cheers
Steve

Steve, A question for you on the IO

What is wrong with those levels? If you supplement kalk to bring up the Ca from 350 to about 400 ppm, would that still be a problem with IO? Or do you think the Alk it too high and the addition of Ca might cause a precipitation?

BTW, I've read those articles but I just don't have a mind for chemistry!

BTA said:
Steve, A question for you on the IO
What is wrong with those levels?
They're backwards :wink:

If you supplement kalk to bring up the Ca from 350 to about 400 ppm, would that still be a problem with IO? Or do you think the Alk it too high and the addition of Ca might cause a precipitation?
I do not believe you should be buying a saltmix and then need to correct the chemistry. It should be properly balanced from the get go. To me, the product is faulty. Not to mention the time and test regents wasted correcting something that should be properly balanced when manufactured. If you do not mind correcting the issue yourself, that's fine. Personally, I do not have the patience. The only real time precip would be a problem is if the Ca was raised too quickly. As long as you do not dose large amounts, it will be fine although time consuming.

You will also need to bring the Ca higher than 400 ppm to get the alk back down to a balanced level against the Ca. More like 430-450 ppm Ca in the end.

BTW, I've read those articles but I just don't have a mind for chemistry!
Which part needs more clarification?

Cheers
Steve

"i was asked what of dosing am i using"

red sea calk. so far everything seems ok. though i am having trouble with the test kits involved.

douggiestyle said:
red sea calk.
Kalkwasser is best used to maintain the levels, not raise them. If you need to adjust the chem, best use a buffer for alk and a CaCl product for calcium. It will be more effective and less problems getting to the right levels faster. Just be sure to read the instructions so you do not overdo the additions.

so far everything seems ok. though i am having trouble with the test kits involved.
What kind of test kit?

Cheers
Steve

Kalkwasser is best used to maintain the levels, not raise them. If you need to adjust the chem, best use a buffer for alk and a CaCl product for calcium. It will be more effective and less problems getting to the right levels faster. Just be sure to read the instructions so you do not overdo the additions.
Im pretty sure that is what the red sea product is.
What kind of test kit?
red sea calcium test and alkalinity pro.

do you think it is best to adjust the alk and cal in make up water prior to adding it to the tank after a water change?

Douggie: IO = Instant Ocean salt

I do not believe you should be buying a saltmix and then need to correct the chemistry.

Steveeeee:

Man, your answer is mind-boggling!!! :bowl: You mean to say you've found a salt that is perfect??? (no need for kalk or buffer if you do regular water changes).

Wowsy....I gotta know which saltmix this is. :D

LOL about the chem. article...it's not any one point..I kinda understand it when I read it but pooof it's gone the next day! I guess I would have to read it every day if I wanted to remember it. Bright, ain't I?

Back
Top Bottom