Calculating Watts Per Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

warvillian

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am wondering if this seems correct. I have a 18inch marineland reef capable led. 18- 1 watt daylight and 3- 1 watt blue for a total of 21 watts over a 26 gallon tank. Would it equal .80 watts per gallon of light? Thanks in advance.

I don't quit understand the question but it was explained to me as like 54wts of LED is equal to a 250wts metal halide.. But only in the squar fixtures like Inovative marines as an example

The marineland "reef capable" lights really aren't capable of keeping much of any corals. the light just isnt' enough. :-(

The watts per gallon rule doesnt really apply with all the new technology so I wouldnt go by that/.

I don't quit understand the question but it was explained to me as like 54wts of LED is equal to a 250wts metal halide.. But only in the squar fixtures like Inovative marines as an example
All LEDs are not created equal. Just because a fixture has LEDs in it does not mean that it will support photosynthetic creatures.
There are many variables to think about. The depth of the tank, top to bottom is a more important factor than how many total gallons it is.
The wattage of the Lighting, the efficiency per watt, reflectors/optics, and finally what livestock you intend to keep, must all be considered when choosing lighting.

mr_X said:
All LEDs are not created equal. Just because a fixture has LEDs in it does not mean that it will support photosynthetic creatures.
There are many variables to think about. The depth of the tank, top to bottom is a more important factor than how many total gallons it is.
The wattage of the Lighting, the efficiency per watt, reflectors/optics, and finally what livestock you intend to keep, must all be considered when choosing lighting.

+1 on watts per gallon not being a good rule to follow

I was just using the 90wt IM fixture as an example of a good LED fixture that has a huge punch from what I've heard

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom