Calculating Weight of tank and Floor capacity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sw65galma

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am buying a 300 Gallon tank.

This tank has 700lbs of LS and 500lbs of LR

It's going on the 2nd floor of a newly build addition.

The addition is 23Ft wide built with 12inch Wood I-beams every 16in on center a part.

I asked the contractor many times if it would hold the weight and he said "trust me you won't have any problems" Of course i belive him like i'd belive a lawyer lol j/k

Anyway I want to check on my own..
To make sure When i set up my tank it doesn't take the whole addition down with it.

Also it would be spaning the lenght of a the beams, and would be over 2 of them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

I am no contractor, but I am very skeptical of a 300 gallon tank on a second floor. I was weary with my 110.

The general consensus is that over 100 gallons is risky.

I calculate that at about 3600 lbs. Just seems like a lot of weight to me, without adding additional support.

water weighs about 8 pounds a gallon..somewhere around there anyway.

2400 lbs water
700 lbs Live sand
500 lbs Live rock

3600 lbs....thats not including the stand, sump (if used), top or canopy,and all the equipment that will be utilized to runn the tank. I'm guessing closer to 4000 lbs. 2 tons......thats a lot of weight.

Iwould definately not do it, If you were agoing across the beams it would be a different story, but your going to put nearly a ton of weight under each beam under the tank.

That is definately a scary situation, and I'd shy away from it personally.

Also depends on where your tank is in relation to the load supporting walls. If the tank is directly over a load supporting wall, it would be OK. It gets riskier the further you are away from that - the middle of the room would be worst.

Before putting 2 tons overe 2 12" I-beams (BTW - how far is that spanning?), I would suggest you talk to a structural engineer. The room might not collapse, but any sagging will cause cracks, doors not fitting, etc.

Is it not possible to put it in a different orientation so it goes across the beams, instead of along them?

Because even tho, if the house was build perfectly and the lumber has no flaws, there is still a risk...and its not worth risking the money invested into your house and tank. IMHO atleast

This is one of my favorite online articles about tank weight issues.
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/aquarium_weight.php

From what I've read, over loading a structure rarely results in catastrophic collapse. However, it can lead to deflection and sagging, which can can cause an aquarium to burst a seal.
The thought of 300 gallons of sandy SW cascading down the stairs...*shudders*.

I would also advise you to consult a structural engineer.
How much could they charge? - probably chump change compared with the value of that sweet aquarium you're thinking of setting up!

QTOFFER said:
I would also advise you to consult a structural engineer.
How much could they charge? - probably chump change compared with the value of that sweet aquarium you're thinking of setting up!

I"m in the same process of trying to determine if my 200g can go on my second floor. I was able to contact a few structural engineers that chargerd $80-100 an hour with the cheapest estimating 3 hours and the most expensive estimated a full 8 hour day. I"m having someone come out next week to check it out! I agree that it is much better to be safe than sorry, the couple hundred you'd spend would be well worth the piece of mind IMO.

jeez...and i'm even nervous putting my 85 on the second floor. i don't think i'd even consider anything over 100gal up here. good luck with all that...

Back
Top Bottom